Cartridge Identification- Help please.

JasonC

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP, Cannon, Lexmark,
If one doesn't know what make or model an inkjet printer is ( as is the case of a overseas produced printer with no brand name ), and you have the inkjet cartridge that was supplied with the printer, Is there a way to accurately identify what the correct model number of the cartridge?

For example, we suspect the cartridge is an HP802 or 803 which is for the Asia/India market - however the physical design of the cartridge is identical to the US version of the HP63 and numerous other model numbers. To explain, these printers are aftermarket produced utilizing existing printer cartridges for their geographic market. So they will make a printer, provide the cartridge and refuse to give the actual model number of the cartridge.

In a way, we are trying to reverse engineer a portion of the printers so I'm trying to figure out if there is a definite way to identify a cartridge.

I hope that makes sense. I appreciate any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 289

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If one doesn't know what make or model an inkjet printer is ( as is the case of a overseas produced printer with no brand name )
This is a first for me --- a consumer inkjet printer that is not made by a known manufacturer.

Is the printer installed? If so, then print out a printer self-test page and maybe the make and model number will be printed.

If you have the printer driver then sometimes looking at Properties of the file you can get some information.

If the printer is installed then your Operating System may give some information about the installed printer. What OS are you using?

these printers are aftermarket produced utilizing existing printer cartridges for their geographic market. So they will make a printer, provide the cartridge and and refuse to give the actual model number of the cartridge.
Who knows which or even if a chipped cartridge from any country/region and a different supplier will work.

Run away. Run fast. Run far.

JasonC

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP, Cannon, Lexmark,
Ah, good suggestions but I should apologize for the lack of printer information. This is going to sound silly but the printer is a standalone printer made for printing on objects such as eggs, flowers, fruit, etc.. the printers do not connect to a PC but instead has its own built in OS (Android) with a touch screen to operate.
They have designed the printer to use consumer/retail grade ink cartridges with brands such as HP, Lexmark and the like. Being this is the case, they have “borrowed” the printer internal design from the regular name brands. (This is apart of the intellectual property rights / patent infringement issue in China)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Does the printer have software, drivers, or firmware you can access either on the printer's LCD screen or via a series of button presses on the printer control panel? Is there nothing that gives a clue on who made the printer or its components?

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
There's probably something within the Android OS to indicate at least a print driver,
though I wouldn't know the first thing about how to get to the information.

Considering Android is a 'Nix variant, I'd suspect a Linux/Unix expert could find something.
I'd also suspect the setup to be using a Raspberry Pi or similar for its controlling guts.

Can you provide a photo of one of the printers in question?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I wonder if the cartridges really are from the same printer?

The one with the pink top is a typical HP tri-colour cartridge, and the pattern of the contact pads is the same as used on the European type 301 (and US type 61?). The cartridge with the green top looks to me like a Lexmark of the 16,17,26 and 27 family. Compare the contact pads with this.

Lexmark cartridges are also used in some Dell inkjet printers, I don't know if these printers are made by Dell or by Lexmark and rebranded. The cartridges used are Lexmark but with a special coding of the contact pads and a special chip so ordinary Lexmark cartridges cannot be used instead of the more expensive Dell branded cartridges. Some specially coded Lexmark cartridges are also used in some Primera CD/DVD printers.

Last edited: