car tire pump mod to vacuum pump

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Well, I used a car tire pump to mod it to a nice vacuum pump :)

I used a 100PSI 35Liters per minute pump that has rated at 10bar.
Since I had trouble to locate the intake because it sucks air from anywhere it can I solved it by placing it inside an air tight container. I attached I monometer inside the container to measure vaccum because I could not find where to get a vacuumeter locally. The interesting thing is I can't reach more than -1bar.

Either the monometer is not suitable for vacuum measurement or I don't know where the problem can be. I think the pump should reach at least 2-2.5bar.

Here is the photo of the monometer:
pump1.jpg

And here is the container:
pump2.jpg

Sorry for not sharp photos I used my mobile to take them, will repost normal photos in a few days when my camera arrives.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You do not show where or how you evacuate the chamber.

I think the idea is sound and very clever.
provided you have no inlet leaks it all depends on the seals in the cylinders and the power to drive the motor. I have a 12volt car tyre pump and it vibrates to buggery when connected. It has claims of achieving huge pressures, 120 lb/sq" but I have difficulty to get it to 40. There might be a difference when used to pull a vacuum.

If the volume of your tank is fairly large compared with a cartridge I should think that 1 bar or what is it 14 odd lb / sq' should exert sufficient negative preasure to fill with. Cartridges are only plastic, you would not want them to implode. Remember that the ink is at a positive pressure and will readily replace all that negativity.

It all comes back to the cylinder rings. For an idea a large air cylinder compressed will suck in air using a oneway valve on the inlet. by using an electric motor to give the cylinder a reciprical motion you can achieve very high vacuum levels. The seals are much better and you lose less air bypassed. You would probably do better with a car hand pump again seals are better.

If the seals are perfect the motor will seize at maximum achieved pressure or vacuum.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Smile said:
...snip... The interesting thing is I can't reach more than -1bar.

Either the monometer is not suitable for vacuum measurement or I don't know where the problem can be. I think the pump should reach at least 2-2.5bar.
One bar is only slightly less than one atmosphere. Even if you removed every molecule of air in the container, you can only achieve a maximum vacuum of 1 atmosphere (the pressure outside of your vacuum container is, by definition, 1 atmosphere).

Designing things to run in a vacuum is tricky, as lubricants boil off and electrical arcs (e.g. from the brushes in a universal motor) can become larger without air pressure to help quench them. Running an air compressor inside a vacuum chamber may work for a while, but don't be surprised if you encounter a prematire motor or bearing failure.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Grandad35 said:
Smile said:
...snip... The interesting thing is I can't reach more than -1bar.

One bar is only slightly less than one atmosphere. Even if you removed every molecule of air in the container, you can only achieve a maximum vacuum of 1 atmosphere (the pressure outside of your vacuum container is, by definition, 1 atmosphere).

Designing things to run in a vacuum is tricky, as lubricants boil off and electrical arcs (e.g. from the brushes in a universal motor) can become larger without air pressure to help quench them. Running an air compressor inside a vacuum chamber may work for a while, but don't be surprised if you encounter a prematire motor or bearing failure.
Hmm, after some research of my own you are right, the maximum possible is 1 atmosphere. About motor failure that’s possible but again, I pump down to 1 atmosphere in about 1minute 15sec. And this is not a thing I do nonstop. So if you consider how much professional pump costs that can do 1 atmosphere vacuum then even if the pump worth 38$ fails It will be cheaper to buy new than so called professional vacuum pump. Sure it's more compact ant appealing to the eye but that’s it.

Also who said the pump can't be lubricated :)

I tested that I can fill an empty container with capacity of ~25 milliliters connected to another container with water trough a tube with a thin needle (that should simulate maze part of a cartridge). That should be more than enough to fill a cartridge.

I'll repost some pictures with new camera in a few days. The inlet ports are on another side of my chamber, the chamber is made from ~2.6 - 3 mm aluminum, cause steel chamber was too expensive lol...

The Plexiglas window you see monometer trough is 15mm thick it also helps to reinforce the container.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
And all this is "cheaper" than a professional vacuum pump? I bought mine from an auto parts store that my mechanic recommended for $130. The chain stores like Pep Boys and Autozone won't have these. If you have trouble locating one, ask auto mechanics who service air conditioners where they get their supplies from.

http://www.atdtools.com/showitem.php?item_id=3409

Whenever I face the seemingly high price of an item like this, I compare it to the cost of OEM cartridges and say, well that is just the cost of ten cartridges which is two complete refills of my printer, and it will be worth the cost in just a few months.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
And all this is "cheaper" than a professional vacuum pump? I bought mine from an auto parts store that my mechanic recommended for $130. The chain stores like Pep Boys and Autozone won't have these. If you have trouble locating one, ask auto mechanics who service air conditioners where they get their supplies from.

Whenever I face the seemingly high price of an item like this, I compare it to the cost of OEM cartridges and say, well that is just the cost of ten cartridges which is two complete refills of my printer, and it will be worth the cost in just a few months.
Yes it is cheaper and I use the pump to inflate my car tires :)
Pump cost 38$
Container, sealant, reinforcement rings 20$
Intake exaust valves etc. 2$
Monometer 3.5$

Total 63.5$

Here are some more photos:

pump3.jpg

pump4.jpg

pump5.jpg

pump6.jpg

pump7.jpg

pump8.jpg

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:

Just found a pump like you said:
CPSVP2S.bmp

But it cost 193$

I tried to use google to find any stores in europe but to no avail.

InkMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Anyone thought of using a vacuum cleaner, they are used to collapse storage bags and have a fair suction.