Canon's secret (sort of) MC-G01/G02 Maintenance Cartridge for some printers

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
I'm not a fan of YouTube videos for the most part, but every so often one comes along and really stands out. especially when it hits home (so to speak).

I have read a number of the dreaded 5B00 error code from the filled ink pads on Canon printers and stumbled across this video that talks about the problem;

Then the solution, at least for certain printers (as far as I know as I type this);

The ironic thing about all of this (at least for me) I was considering a new printer and was lookinjg at one of the models mentioned in the 2nd video. That model had a replacement that spec'ed one pound heaver which I thought strange. Also strange was when I talked to canon, I was told the difference between the older and the replacement models was a (improved ink system) supposedly using less ink (so I was told). That MC-G02 Maintenance Cartridge apparently was it!

According to one viewer of that 2nd video there are only 2 carts for select printers available;
Print Cloud
"There are only 2 maintenance cartridges in Canon CISS for now: MC-G01 for MAXIFY GX models MC-G02 for G1x20, G2x20, G2x60, G3x20, G3x60, G5x0 & G6x0 models"

Last edited:

The Old Man

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G3010
I'm not a fan of YouTube videos for the most part, but every so often one comes along and really stands out. especially when it hits home (so to speak).

I have read a number of the dreaded 5B00 error code from the filled ink pads on Canon printers and stumbled across this video that talks about the problem;

Then the solution, at least for certain printers (as far as I know as I type this);

The ironic thing about all of this (at least for me) I was considering a new printer and was lookinjg at one of the models mentioned in the 2nd video. That model had a replacement that spec'ed one pound heaver which I thought strange. Also strange was when I talked to canon, I was told the difference between the older and the replacement models was a (improved ink system) supposedly using less ink (so I was told). That MC-G02 Maintenance Cartridge apparently was it!

According to one viewer of that 2nd video there are only 2 carts for select printers available;
Print Cloud
"There are only 2 maintenance cartridges in Canon CISS for now: MC-G01 for MAXIFY GX mdoels MC-G02 for G1x20, G2x20, G2x60, G3x20, G3x60, G5x0 & G6x0 models"
The very reason I chose a G3010 over the G3020 is the issue of paper jams reported on some of the Gxx20 model.
For me it was better to get the waste inkpad replaced for a mere 10$ and reset the ink counter from the on board control panel. Currently I am at 12% Saturation of the waste pad as shown on the EEPROM Printout data.

Also another issue Canon users face is the the sudden loss of ink from the ink tubes which have no apparent solution and you have to use the syringe method to save ink and absorber pad or do an ink flush and waste more ink and saturate the waste pad.
I think they addressed the issue a bit on the newer ink tanks of Gxx20 series with an improved reservoir and air lock but still some users may face it.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Link for the loss of ink problem?
(you didn't need to use the quote function since there was only one post in the thread)

Last edited:

The Old Man

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G3010

Here is a no voiceover link. This person does a Ink flush which wastes quite a lot of ink.

This person uses the syringe method which saves quite a lot of ink when compared to the ink flush but its not that easy specially for the colour carts.
There was an error on the second person's part. He selected 10 in maintenance menu in the end which is for Ink Flush but he said Deep Cleaning. Deep cleaning is on 3 and Cleaning is on 2 with nozzle check on 1.

Last edited:

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
How does one avoid all of either in the 1st place? I can see why there is a problem especially with black going a much greater distance.
How often should one print a short test page of the 4 colors?

The Old Man

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G3010
How does one avoid all of either in the 1st place? I can see why there is a problem especially with black going a much greater distance.
How often should one print a short test page of the 4 colors?
twice a week print two test pages. It should keep the ink moving plus won't let the carts dry out which seems to be the main reason for air as per some reports.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Test pages from the printers Maintenance tab or something else?

The Old Man

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G3010
Test pages from the printers Maintenance tab or something else?
Yes from maintenance tab. Just to keep the ink cartridge and heads wet with ink so they don't dry and overheat themselves to death.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
You feel that little bit of ink flow would be enough??

Latest posts