Canon's chipped cartridges refillable?

Kenyada

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Has there been any success with refilling the Canon chipped carts? Is a chip resetter required, as with Epson chipped carts?

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
So far I've not heard about anyone doing refills on them, but from what I've read the chip is there to activate an LED to indicate low ink conditions and not to prevent refilling.

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think the construction was just the same as the HP catridge, coz as i know it was really - really similar...even the notch and the size...
i think this catridge have a lot of disadvantage they're more fragile, smaller ink capacity, and not refill friendly.....
And goosshh........ why did cannon make the catridge like this....i think thinktank catridge was the best :(

Jacostrydom

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The chip is not only for showing the level, but also after refilling (same way I used on previous chipless tanks) the printer still sees the cartridge as empty. Really an stupid excercise from CANON as the chip will most likely be resettable as soon as the refiil manufacturers provide a chip resetter. If only the manufacturers would sell the inks at reasonable prices then al this refill junk would not be necessary.

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Talked to a Canon sales rep in a Santa Clara Fry's Electronics store. The sales gave all kinds of wrong information about the new CLI-8 ink cartridges. He first said the ink in the CLI-8 is superior to BCI-6 inks. But when I asked him if that would make i9900 printer obsoleted he said no. He siad i9900 with BCI-6 inks makes the best prints still. Well, then why the new CLI-8 ink? He refused to admit that there is a chip on the CLI-8 cartridge. He said it is only an improved ink monitoring design so that the printer will flash a LED when ink becomes empty. But when asked how the printer detects empty ink he had no answer.

In another trip to the store and there was another Canon sales rep there. He said the ink in the CLI-8 cartridges are the same as those in BCI-6. Words of those sales reps are never trustworthy whatsoever. I wonder if they are legally liable for giving false info like that. I noticed there were very few Canon printers in display there. For the past few weeks (months?) I only saw i9900, ip8500 and an ip4000 plus the new ip4200 in display. They always have a pile of ip1600 junkie there. If this is the same nation wide in other stores I'll say Canon is following Sony going the same direction.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
hpnetserver, good work finding out that info. If I were you I'd send this info to Canon's email support and see what they have to say (especially in writing). FYI: my experience with Canon's email support has been VERY good.

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
So according the Jacostrydom the new cli-8 was the same as HP 54,57,24,25 cart ....
Canon website provide information that they create the new catridge like this to avoid the quality deterioration....
one thing that i afraid was how about if there is no resetter for these new catridge....or they should threated like the HP catridge when refilling ( plug it of and on )....
and seem so these new catridge have low durability rather than the old one..
nifty.......did u got some quality deterioration on your cannon print quality after so long printing with your printer ?

bikerjim

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can you refill a Cannon PGI 220BK and how do you do it?

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
You can fill the newer chipped cartridges no problem, except you lose ink monitoring capability. When the printer realizes you've printed more than what's possible from the ink cartridge it flags that cartridge as unreadable and you have to go through a series of warnings telling you you're gonna damage the printer, warranty is voided, and blah blah. The ink monitoring circuit is then disabled unless you put a fresh genuine cartridge in it. If you just keep an eye out on the ink level and refill before the ink runs out you'll be fine. If after a while you notice banding after head cleaning you're cartridges need a purge as ink isn't flowing to the print head fast enough cause the cartridge is clogged.