:yuckyuck

You're bang on with that one!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
1) Canon Administrator Password(s)

2) How to monitor wireless network status on a Canon printer using Canon's IJ Network Tool.

I'll pass the first link to the Canon technician with whom I spoke. Surely he needs to read carefully this info. :D

@The Hat : I know about the way to avoid huge margins and I intend to refill one Photo black cart with black Matte ink when/if I use matte media, but this isn’t the point. Why those restrictions ?. It seems unlikely that it’s a mechanical limitation of the machines. It must be driver related. Why the owners of Pro10/Pro100 aren’t allowed to print say a 12x36” panorama ? Even if these printers haven‘t roll support, you can buy a roll of paper and cut a sheet of the required length each time.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why the owners of Pro10/Pro100 aren’t allowed to print say a 12x36” panorama ? Even if these printers haven‘t roll support, you can buy a roll of paper and cut a sheet of the required length each time.
I agree with you 100%, but both our agreements are with Canon and not each other, you own the Pro 10, but Canon own and control the driver software.

I once talked with the CEO of Canon Ireland in 2004 on this very subject after buying the i850, and he said that’s the way the organisation wants it, and calmly suggested I buy a larger printer... :mad:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
and he said that’s the way the organisation wants it, and calmly suggested I buy a larger printer..
That's the way it works - not much different with Epson blocking features via firmware on some models which are available on other models with the same printing hardware

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
But they can't take from us our right to a loud and angry rant. :barnie

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
@Artur5, what I described above was only to set up the Wifi configuration in the printer with the Canon install program, but with a USB cable from a computer (or laptop if you have one). After the set up the USB cable is disconnected and the printer can then be accessed via WiFi, and by any computer on the WiFi network. I used this method a number of times (I develop software and have to rebuild my computer repeatedly with different configurations) and have never had a problem, neither with the USB for set up, nor with the WiFi for printing.
Good Luck. :thumbsup

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CanonPro-100, E2000p, LexMark
I used this method a number of times (I develop software and have to rebuild my computer repeatedly with different configurations) and have never had a problem, neither with the USB for set up, nor with the WiFi for printing.
Good Luck. :thumbsup
QUOTE: Experience counts; we all are, however, not necessarily experienced.
P.S. This post is insane. Consider it from a troll.

Edit:

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
USB is not a a very convenient option for me. For reasons of available space, my computer and the Pro10s are in different rooms. If I want to use USB I need to connect a 3mtr. extension to the regular cable and this is a hassle. You keep tripping on that cable and once printing has ended it has to be removed. I had to put up with this matter for years with my former Pro9000 and sure it’s a godsend having WIFI with the Pro10s. Once the wifi network is set up no problem. My rant was more about Canon being unable to provide clear and proper information to the user. My humble Huawei phone hasn’t the slightest trouble to connect with the router. You can change easily the wifi settings and connection is almost instant.
Every brand has a few quirks of course, but on Canon printers I never understood things like the limitation of 26” on the paper length or the huge margins imposed by the driver if you use Fine art paper.

@kdsdata :
This is my first experience with a Wifi capable Canon printer but certainly setup is far from easy compared to USB. After installing and reinstalling the drivers three times I think I got the trick, Fist you install the printer with a USB connection. Fast and easy. Then, without removing the USB cable, you run setup again and this time you select “change the connection method” and then select “wireless Lan” in the menu. After a couple of screens you are given the option of choosing the method of connection. You need to select the third one : “other setup” and on the next screen pickup the only option which is “the wireless setup uses the USB cable”. This way it worked fine for me.
That was my experience too. Glad it worked for you.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
That's the way it works - not much different with Epson blocking features via firmware on some models which are available on other models with the same printing hardware

In the 80s and 90s I used to write print driver (modules they were called then) to access special print features, because back then even the lowly person (independent programmer) could get PLC language manuals, and from the printer manufactures "ALL" the setting available and accessible on "ANY" printer. Now it's all hidden and available only to a few. Similar with OS developers. In the 80s we were reprogramming Apple and IBM OS assembly code (for fun, not for business). My first Apple II Writer (about '83) came with a serial card, but no drivers. We had to code one before we could use the printer. But it was fun, because we got manufacture's support, very detailed technical support.

The whole industry has forgotten what made the small desktop computer so immensely popular, how the desktop model reshaped the computerized world of the IBMs and DECs (etc.) mainframes. It was a revolution.

Remember the "user groups"? For the Apple we went to once a week meetings. For the IBM (compatible) we went once a month. It was fun. Maybe not always good times (debugging can be a drag), but it was fun when it finally worked "the way we wanted", not just the way "they" want you to buy, and buy, and buy. That's become their obsession nowadays.

Now the users are treated like dumb sheep. Any problem? Oh..., that's on your end, your computer, your driver configuration. NEVER the manufacturer, or the driver developer. But go ahead, buy another model, we have one for just what you want. Great, but when you get it home it doesn't do something else you want. Like the above mentioned banner.

I had an EPSON dot matrix printer (mid '80s), we taped paper together and for Xmas printed a 48 foot banner (yes 48 foot) that went around all the walls in the office.

So what happened after all the sales hype we got about "smarter" and better computers and printers? They did get faster, but in my opinion dumber, because too many things are blocked from the users. It's there, but blocked. I think we need another revolution. Too bad I am getting too old for that sort of stuff.

Anyway, nicely to all of you, good luck with getting your work done. Fritz Kiessling (and with apologies, yes, this posting qualifies as a Rant).

(@The Hat, it runs like a Rant, but please keep it here. I don't want to start any flame wars, thanks.)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The Music industry is still the same today, you buy the song on 7 different formats and you still can’t copy it legally, :( I too loved the old DOS day when everything was possible...:)
@kdsdata, I can move your post over to Forum Rants, if you request it....:caf

Latest posts