Canon Tech. support in need of support.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Some days ago I changed Internet provider so the older router was replaced with another one. My Pro10s didn’t connect with the new router because it had a different SSID. That was expected so I ran the IJ Network utility provided by Canon that allows you to change the network settings recorded in the memory of the printer. As I had already changed the default wifi password of the new router to the same of the new one, it was only a question of changing in the printer’s memory the SSID name of the old router to the SSID of the new one. Guess what ? When I tried to modify it, the program told me that ”an administrator password has been set for this printer, Please enter the password to confirm the new settings”. At first I though that it was the wifi password of the router but no, it was the printer’s own password. Wifi connection cuouldn’t be established if it wasn’t possible to modify the SSID, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver of the Pro10s. Then the setup program recognized the new router and the connection was fine again. Nevertheless, when I ran the IJ. Network utility, it ask me again a password to validate any change of parameters.
That bothered me, so I called Canon tech. support and I was directed to a serviceable chap who listened to my explanation and took a lengthy absence to check his database or consult somebody else. He came back telling me positively that, of course, Canon printers didn’t come with a factory preset password and that, in my case, it was set up accidentally (implying that I’ve been messing cluesslely with the printer settings).
He told me to reset the printer to the factory default ( done by pressing and holding the resume button until the power led has flashed 15 times). This way, the “accidental pasword” would be deleted.
I did so and had to reinstall the driver again, cause the wifi settings were reset. Not a big deal, but IJ Network kept asking me for that elusive password.
So I fetched the huge pdf user manual and dived into it. After searching some time in the network section I came to these paragraphs on page 269 :

“An Administrator password “canon” is already specified for the printer at the time of purchase”
“The password revert to default setting by initializing the printer settings”

So, indeed the Pro10s comes with the factory preset password “canon” (not a very original password but easy to remember)
Also, if you known the original password, you can change it or disable it (as I did afterwards) but reinitializing the printer it reverts to “canon”.

I was tempted to call back Canon tech, support and offer them my technical advice in case it was needed.
Now, I’m not blaming the guy with whom I contacted. It’s not his fault if Canon doesn’t provide adequate briefing to their staff. Also, why in the hell Canon Wifi printers come with a factory preset password ? . New computers have the option of setting a password for entering the BIOS or the OS. but this is optional and AFAIK all computers come with no password preset.
At least, it they decide to do so, they should write it in capital letters in the first page of the manual or the quick set-up guide instead of burying deep down this information in a 623 pages user manual.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Forgive me for being such an idiot but wouldn’t USB be so must easier faster and more reliable than having to go through all that gibberish just to enable a LAN connection.
Just asking..:hide

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
@Artur5, I have also felt like an idiot regarding the WiFi install method. Since then, I have wondered if it isn't perhaps a software problem with the WiFi install program. I had not been able to get the connection correct via WiFi install. And that had been in about 5 or 6 locations and from the same number of different computers, and more than one type/make of router. Alway had to revert to the USB cable install. Then there was never a problem.

Just commenting :confused:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
USB is not a a very convenient option for me. For reasons of available space, my computer and the Pro10s are in different rooms. If I want to use USB I need to connect a 3mtr. extension to the regular cable and this is a hassle. You keep tripping on that cable and once printing has ended it has to be removed. I had to put up with this matter for years with my former Pro9000 and sure it’s a godsend having WIFI with the Pro10s. Once the wifi network is set up no problem. My rant was more about Canon being unable to provide clear and proper information to the user. My humble Huawei phone hasn’t the slightest trouble to connect with the router. You can change easily the wifi settings and connection is almost instant.
Every brand has a few quirks of course, but on Canon printers I never understood things like the limitation of 26” on the paper length or the huge margins imposed by the driver if you use Fine art paper.

@kdsdata :
This is my first experience with a Wifi capable Canon printer but certainly setup is far from easy compared to USB. After installing and reinstalling the drivers three times I think I got the trick, Fist you install the printer with a USB connection. Fast and easy. Then, without removing the USB cable, you run setup again and this time you select “change the connection method” and then select “wireless Lan” in the menu. After a couple of screens you are given the option of choosing the method of connection. You need to select the third one : “other setup” and on the next screen pickup the only option which is “the wireless setup uses the USB cable”. This way it worked fine for me.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I must admit that I'm not happy with the WLAN performance of Epson printers - ET7750 - WF2010W and more - it is not so much the setup - but the stability of the connection, the performance of the printers, stopping jobs, printing slower than via USB, need for reconnecting , overall a pretty nagging experience. I don't know what the problem is - there are not many easy tools available, I checked the traffic on the WLAN channels and selected one with less interference from other routers but it does not make much of a difference. I tested and installed in one case a Silex WLAN print server, the WLAN connection is done via the print server, the printer is connected to the USB port on the print server, and the user at the computer does not see the WLAN connection - it is a virtual USB connection via (W)LAN, and it worked in my case much better, printing faster, barely no drops of the connection and no interruption of print jobs. I don't know where the difference is coming from - WLAN firmware in the printer, driver whatever issues.
It is quite typical that (W)LAN hardware comes with a default password like the company name or 'admin' or '1234' or similar, some companies even print it onto the equipment label and require you to change it at the first start up/initialization of that unit. Hiding that info on page 289 in the manual is just aggrevating.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
USB for me is a far safer connection because you’ll never suffer from any drop out or loss of data, some of my printers are connected with 6 metres of cable running around the walls using USB powered Hubs, and I’ve never fallen over any cable yet.

Wi-Fi can be good in limited circumstances but never 100% reliable, its like eating an Ice Cream cone in the rain, you will get to enjoy it but with some added extras, I know of guys who use the Wi-Fi connection and their printer is sitting next to the computer.

What you see in the Canon Custom Paper Size is never correct, check yours and you’ll see the max. Width is set to 16.", but you know it can’t be, and Canon have never changed these visual Paper Size setting in any of their printers. (Always wrong)

If you want a printed image longer than 26” you must get a bigger model, that’s been Canon policy for years, in fact I have never known a Canon printer that could print Panoramas, Epson could at one time. Paper length is not restricted..

Printer margin restrictions in the Canon are easily overcome when you switch to another Media setting and that will give you no white borders, if the Photo/Matte Black become a problem then fill the respective cartridge with the black you require or use two separate cartridges...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Epson could at one time...
Epson still does - I can adjust a max length of 1117.6 mm on my little L382 desktop, and similar on other printers.
(But you may run out of ink with one ink - do a refill, run out with the next ink........... and may get your print finished only after you consumed a roll of paper......)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
O’ what a tangle web we weave, When First we practise to Wi-Fi receive... :eek: :lol: