Canon states not to use extension cords/multi sockets

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Finally purchased an MP560, was slightly astonished to see in the smaller safety manual, that it states "never plug the machine into a power socket that is shared with other equipment (extension lead/cord, 2- or 3- way adapter, etc.), presumably that includes surge protectors? Are Canon just covering themselves here, surely most people would think using a surge protector would be a good thing to do...?

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Doesn't make sense since most outlets in a room (and usually more than one room) are on the same circuit breaker. How many amps does the MP560 use? It can't be more than one can it?

hazelnut

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
msmart said:
Doesn't make sense since most outlets in a room (and usually more than one room) are on the same circuit breaker. How many amps does the MP560 use? It can't be more than one can it?
I don't think it's a safety manual specific to the MP560, if you do a search on that phrase it turns up results for the JX200 & JX300 Fax, MP160, MP170, MP460, MP530, including some on the Canon Canada site, it also says "If you hear thunder, disconnect the power supply of the machine and refrain from using it" , so it basically looks like Canon are covering their a**es in the event the machine is damaged by a surge whether a surge protector is fitted or not! I think surge protectors actually warranty for damage to connected epuipment themselves though I'm not aware whether anyone has succesfully claimed in that circumstance (note I don't think most protectors are capable of protecting from a lightning surge).