canon refill count numbers from this forum to see the limits

crexas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry if I got you confused. It's the one on top of the cartridge, above the ink tank (not the sponge). It is factory sealed, a plastic little ball or something. Some people get it pushed in so there's a hole for refilling, or (in my case) a hole for flushing the cartridge.

P.s. sorry for my english, it's not my first language

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Thanks for the clarification.

I don't see why you need to open up that hole for flushing. It's the sponge that needs to be flushed and you could always fill the reservoir with water using the normal German refill process and then you could suck it all out again by turning the cartridge right side up.

I think there has been enough experience on this forum prior to the German method with resealing the hole above the reservoir and tape was never considered a good method. The advantage of the German method is that you don't have to worry about making a good seal on that hole because you don't open it up. I would strongly suggest that you not open that hole on top of the reservoir.

crexas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I find it easier to flush through that hole. At least for me. Maybe tape is not the best thing, but all my cartridges have had that hole opened and taped for almost a year now. And here I am still :) with my 100 refills a month and no complaining. In the end everything should be considered "good" as long as it keeps the hole closed and prevents the air from coming in. I found the tape to be the cheapest and easiest way to re-apply, although it could depend on the quality of that tape.

This is just the method I use. In no way am I trying to convince anyone else to do so too, just wanted to share my experience.

I can even make my own list of worst-to-best cartridges ^^ the worst one for me seems to be the yellow. Maybe it's the color and it's contents or maybe it's the cartridge, but I always need to flush yellow more often than the others. The air bubbles become like foam and block the ink from flowing fluently in that cartridge more often that in any other cartridges. And it's not that I use yellow more than others. I print a lot of different stuff with diff colors. The second worst place goes to cyan. Need to flush it more often than magenta and black. Black seems to be the best of them all. Maybe it's designed to be this way, since it could be considered the most used one (but not in my case).

All in all I wouldn't be here writing to you about the stuff I succeeded, without the information I got and learned at Nifty Stuff. I thank you all for great tutorials, tips and guides. I hope you know that you made a lot of people happier and their jobs easier. And I am one of them

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
crexas said:
I can even make my own list of worst-to-best cartridges ^^ the worst one for me seems to be the yellow. Maybe it's the color and it's contents or maybe it's the cartridge, but I always need to flush yellow more often than the others. The air bubbles become like foam and block the ink from flowing fluently in that cartridge more often that in any other cartridges. And it's not that I use yellow more than others. I print a lot of different stuff with diff colors. The second worst place goes to cyan. Need to flush it more often than magenta and black. Black seems to be the best of them all. Maybe it's designed to be this way, since it could be considered the most used one (but not in my case)
Parallels my (very limited compared to yours) experience too. First my Yellow acted up followed by the Cyan. Have not flushed and refilled yet to determine if that "fixes" the issue, but I'd wager it will based on your and others anecdotal reports.

Thanks for adding your data to the forum.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
crexas said:
Our IP4600 printers last for about 2 months, after that time they usually give the "absorber full" error and since we don't have a waste ink count resetter (yet), we just throw them out.
Do you have one of those that you could take apart and photograph, especially the bit where the waste pump dumps the ink into the pads... I'm looking at expanding my waste ink article library to include Canon's and have the iP4200 - iP4500's... So it'd be useful to have an iP4600 to add to the mix.

P.s. the only thing I hate about this printer is the magenta color. There is something different about the magenta ink flow in the printhead. I need to clean and flush my printhead almost every time I refill, because otherwise I get no magenta printed ^^ kinda weird
Could it be the ink you're using? I've seen similar issues with different inks at different times of year (temp, air pressure, etc...) and the magenta / cyan were the worst culprits of the lot.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Are you saying there's no combination of button pushes to do a reset of the waste pad counter?
Man, Canon's practices are just slimy.

crexas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah no reset as of yet. To websnail: I will get that picture for you but it might take some time. Don't want to take apart a working printer because I might not put it back together :D so you'll have to wait till the one I have dies

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
nanosec from an older thread that had drifted to the related issue of waste-pad resetting said:
Are you saying there's no combination of button pushes to do a reset of the waste pad counter?
crexas said:
Yeah, no reset as of yet.
Any update on this issue from an older thread? I'm doing enough printing to be concerned about an eventual encounter with the waste-pad-full message.

Would a Canon service manual for that specific printer (or a closely related model) have the info?

Tried Canon tech support via email rather than on the phone? Sometimes they are Very Helpful. Sometimes not ... probably depends on the tech.

There is a widely available Service Manual for the older iP4000 that has the speciifc extended service codes. IIRC, I used the info from the iP4000 to get my iP4500 to do an extended nozzle check. Note there are dangers with trying this: you could assume the same code does the same thing, and have your printer do something entirely different that could be harmful or difficult to undo.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
below are the waste pad reset procedures for a canon MP830, might work for later models, caveat emptor....

J

MP830 Service mode operation procedures
1) With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop/Reset button, press and hold the ON/OFF button. (DO NOT release the
buttons). The COPY button lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.
2) While holding the ON/OFF button, release the Stop/Reset button. (DO NOT release the ON/OFF button.)
3) While holding the ON/OFF button, press the Stop/Reset button 2 times, and then release both the ON/OFF and Stop/Reset buttons. (Each
time the Stop/Reset button is pressed, the Alarm LED and COPY button light alternately, Alarm in orange and COPY in green, starting
with Alarm LED.)
4) When the COPY button lights in green, press the Stop/Reset button the specified number of time(s) according to the function listed in the
table below. (Each time the Stop/Reset button is pressed, the Alarm LED and COPY button light alternately, Alarm in orange and COPY
in green, starting with Alarm LED.)

Time(s) LED indication Function Remarks
0 times Green (COPY) Power off When the print head is not installed, the carriage returns
and locks in the home position capped.
1 time Orange (Alarm) Service test print See 3-4. Verification Items, (1) Service test print.
2 times Green (COPY) EEPROM information print See 3-4. Verification Items, (2) EEPROM information
print.
3 times Orange (Alarm) EEPROM initialization
4 times Green (COPY) Waste ink counter resetting
5 times Orange (Alarm) Destination settings See "Destination settings procedures" below.
6 times Green (COPY) Print head deep cleaning Cleaning of both black and color
7 times Orange (Alarm) LF correction See "LF correction procedures" below.
8 times Green (COPY) CD / DVD check pattern print Not used in servicing
9 times Orange (Alarm) CD / DVD print position
correction (horizontal: X
direction)
Not used in servicing.
10 times Green (COPY) CD / DVD print position
correction (vertical: Y
direction)
Not used in servicing.
11 times Orange (Alarm) Button and LCD test See "Button and LCD test procedures" below.
12 times Green (COPY) Return to the menu selection
13 times Orange (Alarm) Return to the menu selection
14 times Green (COPY) Left margin correction Not used in servicing.
15 times Orange (Alarm) Waste ink amount setting See "Waste ink amount setting procedures" below.