The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Emulator said:
The Hat said:
Guys would you not consider taking a leaf out of Rodbams book and give his way a try just once.
He has always said that his inks work great for him without too much profiling at all.

I tend to go along with his principal of letting Photoshop and printer handle the colours and
just tweak it a bit if its necessary to get that extra Wow factor.
I thought I might give it a try, just in case.

I switched off the profiles and let the Canon printer software take control with Linear Tone etc.

I printed the Evaluation image tif and

Low and behold the colour shift from grey to brown grey in the image border disappeared, it remained the uniform grey.:)

Well I'm blowed, speechless, after all this messing about. So what was the cause??

Many thanks to The Hat.

Now I've got to find out why.........

Regards Ian
All credit should go to Rodbam not me.. :thumbsup

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi The Hat and Rodbam

Yes many thanks for both of your contributions.

Your comment that you don't use Photoshop for B&W is interesting. I normally only print colour, but I tried a B&W version of the Evaluation.tif image in Easy PhotoPrint Pro Greyscale, which automatically switches off profiles even if you leave them on and as you say it gives good results and a nice uniform transition between B and W. My problem with straw coloured greys in colour prints, disappears when profiles are switched off and it is left to the Canon printer.

Regards Ian

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Roy Sletcher said:
However if it solves the problem this it will be OK for me. Will have some time tomorrow - Wed to experiment and see if I can get things better. In all honesty I should mention I am being rather picky because despite my complaining the profiles I am getting with the Spyder are better than the generic Paper profiles supplied by Ilford and Red River papers.
Roy, I wonder whether you have had time to check it out and if so what were the results?

I can't help feeling that this is really only a 'sticking plaster' remedy and does not address a fundamental problem with the profiles being too warm in the first place. It leaves the adjustments at the extreme end of their range.

Have you tried printing a softproof, mine look alright on the screen, but the printout is still totally different.

I don't think I am doing anything incorrectly, but have run out of ideas!

The printer in isolation produces very good results as described previously.

Regards Ian:(

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The Hat said:
Rod maybe working from an advantage as you say but he still gets some lovely prints with his methods
I asked Rod where we could see his images, but he hasnt replied. Now I see I was not being sufficiently observant.

I agree with The Hat, very nice images indeed. I was wondering which one is a self-portrait?

Regards Ian

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Emulator said:
Roy Sletcher said:
However if it solves the problem this it will be OK for me. Will have some time tomorrow - Wed to experiment and see if I can get things better. In all honesty I should mention I am being rather picky because despite my complaining the profiles I am getting with the Spyder are better than the generic Paper profiles supplied by Ilford and Red River papers.
Roy, I wonder whether you have had time to check it out and if so what were the results?

I can't help feeling that this is really only a 'sticking plaster' remedy and does not address a fundamental problem with the profiles being too warm in the first place. It leaves the adjustments at the extreme end of their range.

Have you tried printing a softproof, mine look alright on the screen, but the printout is still totally different.

I don't think I am doing anything incorrectly, but have run out of ideas!

The printer in isolation produces very good results as described previously.

Regards Ian:(
Hi Ian,

Just spent 30 minutes with a reply to you message above, and it does not seem t obe appearing int he message base. Very frustrating and annoying. Too disheartened to re type it right now. Will redo it tomorrow if it does not appear by then.

Roy

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Emulator said:
I asked Rod where we could see his images, but he hasnt replied. Now I see I was not being sufficiently observant.
Sorry mate I missed that.
Emulator said:
I was wondering which one is a self-portrait?
Here's one of me & my wife.
IMG_9214.jpg

And one of me speed reading.
09549E7C1B0940B99C1CE7DA92628A8E.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Rod:

The way your "wife" ignores you, like she's not really with you, lends credibility to your story. :lol:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Rod

Thanks for the photos, I see you have at least two pairs of sandals.

I hope the load on your server does not cause it to crash after this gets around.

I also noted the 7D, which is what I am using, mainly for wildlife. Canon all the way!

Regards Ian

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Roy

I await your report!

I have tried changing the USB port used by the Spectro. Apparently it uses the full 0.5A available. Reading the same patches did give a slightly different, better grey.

One other thing I tried was printing the EZ colour target files, using the profile they had produced, then comparing them with the original target file prints. It was interesting to see that the greys and blue/greens in particular were changed, some quite markedly. I wonder what happens if you make a secondary profile from these targets, getting ever closer to the correct colours! You would have to find a way to create the product of two profiles to use this. How can you do that?

Regards Ian

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi Rod

I have been thinking about your photos, I like them both, but from a technical point of view, what happend after you finished reading the property classified page?

Regards Ian