Canon Pro10s nozzle checks, odd behavior ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@stratman, thanks for your concern, but I assure you that my Pro10s is fine. If it wasn’t, it would print ‘slow’ nozzle checks every time and not only sometimes.
Besides, the printed checks, slow or fast, look perfect. I thought first that it could be a wifi communication issue, but the fact that regular prints have never been affected by any kind of wifi problems leads me to think that this is a feature written in the firmware. I assume that all Pro10s must do likewise. Maybe it’s related to maintenance cycles or something.

Asking Canon’s service center would be a waste of time. They don’t even know how to set up the wireless connection.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
After performing lots of checks in a row I have now a more accurate description. Sorry, my former posts were a bit misleading.

The pattern for the normal (fast ) nozzle check is :

-Paper is fed,

- Single pass.
- Paper advances 15mm (0.6”)
( repeat three times )

- Three passes. -> As the fourth row contains the CO nozzles, I reckon the Pro10s prints red and black stripes in the first pass and then a second/third pass to lay chroma optimizer on top of black.
- Paper advances 15mm

-Single pass.
- Paper advances 15mm
(repeat two times)

- paper is ejected

Total 8 passes and 14-15 seconds since the paper has been fed until it emerges from the tray.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The behavior for the slow nozzle check is exactly the same in number of passes and paper advance distance but there’re pauses of aprox. three seconds between every pass, while in the fast checks there’re no pauses at all.
Also, in slow checks the carrier travels at lower speed from side to side.

Total 8 passes and 54-55 seconds since the paper has been fed until it emerges from the tray.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed as well that slow nozzle checks are performed almost always after a period of inactivity or when a certain amount of ink has been ejected in a short period of time (printing many copies in a row ).

No purge is performed during the nozzle check, because no noise at all is heard during the pauses, but I suspect that slow nozzle checks are related somehow to self triggered maintenance cycles.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I suspect that slow nozzle checks are related somehow to self triggered maintenance cycles.

Try Printing 10 Nozzles checks in a row, one after the other and see what you get, will it run straight through and print the ten or will it pause between one or more of them.. Watch for cleaning cycles too..

Rack them and stack them..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Great description of the nozzle check actions. :thumbsup

I do not recall similar posts on the forum or this occurring with my printers.

That this happens with regularity under certain conditions suggests a planned Canon event.

leads me to think that this is a feature written in the firmware.
You are correct. Nozzle checks are part of the firmware and can be initiated by the LCD screen on the printer without use of your computer. I doubt WiFi has a role in whether the nozzle check is fast or slow since once a nozzle check is initiated the coding in the printer takes over operations independent of the software on your computer.

Asking Canon’s service center would be a waste of time. They don’t even know how to set up the wireless connection.
There may be different levels of tech support. The first level may just be reading a script and have little advanced knowledge. If your printer is under warranty then you may be able to ascend the Canon support hierarchy and talk with someone who can answer the question or find out from the top tier folks and get back to you. Or, you may descend deeper into the Circles of Dante's Inferno, so bring a jacket just in case.