Canon Pro1 print scoring

Alan S

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro1
Wondering if anyone can help with a Canon Pro1 problem. Printer has worked faultlessly for several years having produced hundreds, if nit thousands of prints. Recently getting score maks on top left corner of prints, both A3+ and A4. Looks like the print head is hitting th paper (280g Satin Finish) Using the 'prevent paper abrasion' option in custom settings cures the problem but why has it suddenly started to occur. Tried all the roller cleaning options. Wondering if there is dirt stuck to the print head. Can the print head be easily removed to do a deep clean on it's surfaces and the rollers??

Attachments

• Canon Pro1 prinr head scoring.jpg
    Canon Pro1 prinr head scoring.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 183

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
IF this is due to print head strikes, the first thing to look for is curling of the paper (and any debris on the paper). The second is to try widening the platen gap. The third is to make sure the printer is clean including the rubber rollers.

Have you tried a different sheet of paper - not just another sheet from the same box, but a different box and type of paper? It could be this paper has curled or swelled..

Nice article about head strikes:

https://www.moabpaper.com/blog?tag=Head+Strikes

https://imagescience.com.au/knowledge/head-strikes-and-blotch-issues-on-inkjet-prints

The second link includes platen gap instructions for an Epson, but the idea applies to a Canon.

I am wondering if these missing ink lines on your print are due to poor ink flow through the cartridge / feed lines in the printer. Please print, scan, crop and upload your nozzle check.

Are you using OEM Canon ink and cartridges? If you refill, then what ink are you using and how old is it? Any other issues with the printer? Is this current problem getting worse over time?

Alan S

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro1
Thanks guys, I'll certainly try that. Simplest solutions are always the best!! Won't get a chance to try it until tomorrow but I'll keep you posted.
Many thanks

al

Alan S

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro1
Sorry for the delay in reporting back on this but I was waiting for new paper stock to arrive AND.......... problem solved!! Even though I could see any perceptible curling on the stock I had been using, I've run off several A3+ prints with the new stock and all is good.

Many thanks guys.

alan