Canon PRO-200

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Moss Magnuson Act deals with use of non-OEM parts/fluids/etc and warranty support. Copyright touches upon reverse engineering. There is some overlap concerning aftermarket chipped cartridges. Prosecution of copyrighted proprietary information by manufacturers can be hit or miss. Change the software or hardware juuuust enough and you may be in the clear from criminality.

If you are in China or elsewhere around the globe, wtf do you care about US legalities? Before Covid, internationally made knockoff clothing, purses and watches were easily found on the coast.

As I said, it all come down to the Benjamins (money) at some point, barring someone in it for the intellectual pursuit and having lots of time.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
About the Magnusson thingie, it is incumbent for the aftermarket to figure out the secret to make chips. What if the difficulty is so high BUT STILL POSSIBLE that the aftermarket is unable due to resources to come up with a solution. Then the mfr is clear of any legal issues. I suspect Epson has this situation.

Indeed, a manufacturer can argue the complexity is needed for correct functioning (or safety or whatever).

Keith Cooper

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P5000
On a less contentious issue...
It's being introduced on a market by market basis, so whilst Australia has it, other Canon regions will be introducing it in due course (I have no dates or any official comment).

I hope to have one at some time to look at in detail ;-)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Moss Magnuson Act deals with use of non-OEM parts/fluids/etc and warranty support. Copyright touches upon reverse engineering. There is some overlap concerning aftermarket chipped cartridges. Prosecution of copyrighted proprietary information by manufacturers can be hit or miss. Change the software or hardware juuuust enough and you may be in the clear from criminality.

If you are in China or elsewhere around the globe, wtf do you care about US legalities? Before Covid, internationally made knockoff clothing, purses and watches were easily found on the coast.

As I said, it all come down to the Benjamins (money) at some point, barring someone in it for the intellectual pursuit and having lots of time.

That's the thing. The third party fluids can be used even in the P800 for example. However it can be argued that Epson indicates that the protection measure they have placed in there like Serial number and ink level memory is to protect the consumer from fakes.

Remember, even on the Canon small desktop, when overriding the chip, they are asking if you are overriding when you purchased a tank and whether or not is has been purchased as a "Canon" tank. I think that there possibly is a significant amount of fake Canon tanks being sold and Canon is concerned about that. Same for Epson as well. If they bring this forward and resetting IS allowed then the fakes will never be rooted out. For example, I would not be surprised if my PC42SE filled into refurbed OEM tanks could be passed off as Canon OEM tanks and sold at the same high price to many consumers. From that perspective, you'd have to side with Canon and make sure that the key thing to stopping this is the chip. Again same for Epson...the chips is the only way left to root this fake stuff out. Now are printers a life and death thing where you "have" to allow some form of generic for the good of mankind? I don't think so.

How bad is the problem, "OEM" Pro-1000 tanks being sold on Ebay a few months after the printer was introduced for a fraction of the cost of a new one. They could not be grey market either as the the other areas have a different model naumber. Think they were?

If ANYONE thinks that intellectual theft and fakes is a "political" ploy then they better wake up. Over a decade ago, the ball joints in my car let go a week after I had made a cross country outing on the highways. Imagine that? There was a time cheap stuff was cheap and you knew it, the good stuff was more money and you felt you were getting what you paid for. Not the same times.....as old men know.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ah, shite @stratman how did you suss my Rolex is fake… :ep

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
As a young lad I knowingly got a fake Rolex when I was in HK in the very early 90s. I went to the ladies street and then I asked for one after a picture was shown. After indicating the one I wanted, it was delivered by someone ten minutes later. I KNEW what I wanted...it was kind of fun then to flash it until everyone knew I could never afford a real one so that was it, the novelty wore off after a couple months.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If ANYONE thinks that intellectual theft and fakes is a "political" ploy then they better wake up.
Wha? Where did that come from?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
how did you suss my Rolex is fake
Ted is a fake. He's actually a cat that couldn't get adopted in a dog suit. That's why he doesn't come when you call. Except for dinner. ;)

farquers

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro100
Now if only some smart young thing can work out how to take some code from the Pro 200 and give a firmware hack to enable border reduction in fine art settings and longer print length for my Pro 100 that would be just grand

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Qimage Ultimate allows to bypass Fine Art compulsory wide borders in the Pro-10 and ( I assume ) the Pro-100. No need to hack the firmware.
Instead, the maximum print length of 26" remains. Maybe the smart fellows at Qmage will figure out how to solve that in a future update of the program.