Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Interesting. :pop

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Here come the guesses. Same printhead. Why? Based on what we saw on the Pro-300. The Pro-10 printhead shared the same carcass as on the Pro-100 except for some bits but the commonality was evident.
I can see new chips on the Pro-300 because it will use an updated inkset.
However, the Pro-100 replacement has three possible outcomes. One is that they drop the GY and phase in a PB but keep the LGY. If they retain the CLI-42 chips for the same colors as I do not see a Chromalife 100 Plus Plus. They will bring a new CLI-42-PB it would mean a new resetter but it should be doable.
Two, they phase in completely new chips like they did on the 250/251/270/271/280/281 desktops which continued to use the same inks except for the latest PB and they introduce OPAQUE tanks for the CLI-8 CLI-42 format.
Three... same old tanks and chips as the CLI-42. Same color channels.

Most likely outcome will be Option two. With chip architecture similar to the 281 tanks. Strong encryption as well as opaque tanks.

Anybody's guess really. Least likely outcome is three however.

Who's going to run the boards and take bets?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
In the first video, see the message on the printer LCD screen at 1’57” : ‘Canon would appreciate your cooperation in allowing your printer to send anonymous usage information to Canon’..

Whatever they mean exactly, I bet that they fetch information, whether the user is willing to cooperate or not..:rolleyes:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Looks like the Aussies get to play first with the Pro-200.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-announces-the-canon-pixma-pro-200-printer/

"PIXMA PRO-200 – enhanced colour and higher black density via new inks
Designed to meet the needs of professional and enthusiast photographers, the compact PIXMA PRO-200 A3+ professional photo desktop printer expands the range of colour reproduction achieved by its highly acclaimed predecessor – the PIXMA PRO-100S – while realising the same superb printing capabilities and configurations.

The PIXMA PRO-200’s enhanced range of colour reproduction is achieved via a new 8-colour dye ink system which enables high-image quality and high-productivity printing of artistic photographs. The newly developed magenta and black ink contribute to an expanded colour gamut for reds and blues and more faithful reproduction of blacks while also improving black densities."

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
( More benefits from the Pro200 : )

.... the newly developed 'youwontdecryptmeinthousandyears' chip provides an expanded profit margin for Canon and will contribute decisively to sink at last the 'Thirdpartycartridge', that naughty pirate ship.
Long live to OEM. Bad luck for the consumer's pockets, though. Somebody has to loose, I'm afraid.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Possible but doubtful based on past chip security performance and as long as there is sufficient sales of the printer to justify developing/manufacturing an aftermarket chip.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The newly developed magenta and black ink contribute to an expanded colour gamut for reds and blues and more faithful reproduction of blacks while also improving black densities."

I had already had a superior magenta than the OEM CLI-42M in the Signature Inkset for the Pro-100 May 2019. Many users had already noticed the increased performance over OEM with this new Magenta. So yeah, Canon fixed that weakness. The other thing about black density is that Canon uses a composite black ink for the Pro-100 to start with and this was not super dense but it allowed better tailoring of black to different media and yes, on some media you can obtain superior black density using the new magenta. So I wonder if they really did put out a new black ink. You know Epson used to play those same marketing looseness for years.

picked up the last Pro-300 in Toronto Canada yesterday possibly will not get more until a while as the whole world appears to be low on printers. That same store still had Pro-100s available but where they were asking a low of $279 CAD for them two months ago they now want $459 CAD for one now. Box is a lot smaller now. No need to worry about not fitting into the car boot now. Now it is also an easier lift.

I asked the same store to reserve 2- Pro-200s when they arrive in the future. One for me and another for chip resetter R&D.

Then the same week I got hold of an Epson XP15000. Shock surprise..the setup tanks appear to be identical in weight to the XL tanks. I picked up an extra XL tank and compared them. Canon's track record on setup were as such. CLI-251 approx 24 grams. 271 - 20 grams , 281- 20 grams. The setups were already reduced in capacity physically as compared to the standard full tank....which they now call XL but on the newer printers they are further reduced as the small liquid tank space that used to contain ink in the 251 is now empty on newer machines. Interesting printer and a good project to start. My only fear was that this machine would be a battle ground like the XP600 from 8 years back, Reason is that it is a nice printer and ticks the correct boxes for the asking price. The potential is there and that is why the Epson missiles are waiting. We'll see as I start working on it.

There's an interesting side aspect to the famine of photo printers and the pricing. It looks like Canon and Epson are signalling each other about what they would like to see in pricing. The XP15000 was introduced when the Canon rebates were generous. Now it looks to be a bargain. How long will that last?

See covid changes everything..even printer pricing.

Last edited: