Canon Pro 10 service tool #

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I wish I could report that I was more intelligent. Having registered the 5204 tool, I learned I locked the EEPROM earlier by stupidly trusting a 5103 tool. This was not long ago, before I had the social will to ask for help in a public forum. (I am a younger, retired inorganic chemist and until now did not participate in any social media).

In the academic setting, email correspondence and a telephone call was everything. Clearly this is not enough today.
I am only mildly versed in electronics, so the crazy question becomes:

Does upgrading the firmware to the PRO10 unlock the EEPROM to changes useful to the 5204 tool?
A very interesting question for anybody who locked their EEPROM messing with a wrong version of the software tool, ( like you and me...). Unfortunately I don't know the answer. The only way to know for sure is upgrading the firmware, and see what happens, but I'm very reluctant to do that, being a refiller. There's a fair chance that Canon has introduced sneaky code in the newest firmware versions, in order to prevent or make more difficult resetting the chips.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There's a fair chance that Canon has introduced sneaky code in the newest firmware versions, in order to prevent or make more difficult resetting the chips.
How many times has this happened?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
How many times has this happened?
IMO chances are low to inexistent Canon will block an outphased printer.
Inkjet printers are a small part of their business, not as Epson and HP who depend on them.
When someone is so stupid to refill their printers, they allow it, and in case of problems they just say "we told you so".

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If you guys are so confident, then you should upgrade here and now the firmwares of all your Canon printers to the latest version.
Come on, what are you waiting for ? ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
No one can recall or name one instance of Canon firmware preventing resetting chips?

I find it odd that the collective experiences of the forum cannot come up with an example yet there remains a fear as if Canon were somehow equivalent to the punitive HP.

Not saying it hasn't happened in some fashion - such as using Canon photo software My Image Garden that balked if it detected 3rd party cartridges IIRC - but I and no one else apparently can recall a single instance of Canon Pro 10 firmware disallowing reset chips.

There's a fair chance that Canon has introduced sneaky code in the newest firmware versions, in order to prevent or make more difficult resetting the chips.
Evidence? What does 'fair' mean to you?

The current firmware version for the Pro 10 has been out for 1 year. Either every single Pro 10 refiller has been perfect in not updating or there is no magical mythical cancelling of chip resetting.

For that matter, has anyone heard of the more ubiquitous aftermarket prefilled cartridges suddenly being unrecognized by this year old firmware update? I think we would have heard it by now.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
If you guys are so confident, then you should upgrade here and now the firmwares of all your Canon printers to the latest version.
Come on, what are you waiting for ? ;)
In your case you should wait until the waste pads are full to upgrade the firmware in the hope the service tool will work again.
Interesting to know but I doubt.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ou should upgrade here and now the firmwares of all your Canon printers to the latest version.
On another note:- a firmware upgrade would more likely prevent the use of the current Service tool, rather than prevent the reset of the cart chips from been recognised, but that is highly unlikely now, given the age of the Pro 10..

Just wait and see what booby traps await the unsuspecting refiller of the new Pro 300, Canon have not been asleep..

harold davies

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO 10
In your case you should wait until the waste pads are full to upgrade the firmware in the hope the service tool will work again.
Interesting to know but I doubt.
I have thought about waiting until the dreaded message that I can no longer print. However, this potentially puts me in a bind by forcing me to stop printing and hurriedly fix when I could be in the middle of a paid job. Doing this now and failing is financially untenable, but now I can take my time. I know myself well enough, if I rush, I will blow it. In my former experimental chemistry lab- this thinking cannot exist.

I have been refilling with Precision Colors, and emailed Mike to ask if he has heard of anyone updating firmware and consequently not being able to reset cartridges. I await a response, knowing he can take weeks. Meanwhile, I have scoured just one nights worth of forums, databases, and have not found a clear cut case of firmware cutting off the resetting of cartridge chips in the Pro 10. I also used the Way Back Machine to grab an old firmware update to v. 1.03 from a French site.

Your ideas and friendliness have been motivational. This type of scientific group think is something I tried to get off the ground in the late 70's. I lacked the skill to write the program. It is, for someone like me who does not use social media, a marvelous thing to be helped by many. Unknown. Clearly present. Thank all of you continue to ruminate over this puzzle of Canons', and mine.

Of course I will keep everyone posted.
Your ideas, more than gold, are the fuel.

Harold