Canon Pro-10 ink refill options

Rudix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1000, Canon Pro-10
Hi everyone.

I am contemplating getting a Pro-10 for everyday, mostly personal printing. I would like to refill and I have a question on selecting the brand of ink to use. I understand that PC inks seem to be the best but it is not a real option for me as PC does not ship to my location directly and "indirectly" is a major pain!

I can easily source ink for the Pro-10 from Inkowl and inkproducts.com. Does anyone here have any experience with these two options? I am happy to create custom profiles if needed.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Another source to consider is Octoink out of England.

You might want to post what country you are in to help guide suggestions.

Merry Christmas, Rudix.

Rudix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Stratman!

Yes, I will look at Octoink as well. Sorry, did not realize my location is not showing, will go and change that, I am in South Africa.

Merry Christmas,
Rudi
PS. Just checked, yes, Octoink would be a good option as they offer courier shipping to South Africa, more expensive but much preferred over the slow and unreliable local postal service.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I ordered with octoinkjet.co.uk also since they are (at this moment) still in the European Union so there are no additional taxes and import duties.
But in South Africa I suppose you would pay those from Europe as well, so the total cost is maybe not much higher for Precision Colors.
The only additional cost is a second shipping.
But it is sloooooooow.

I ordered with PC via myUS on December 2 and the package is still in transit ...

PS: what do you mean by "personal printing" ?
The PRO-10 is a dedicated photo printer and way too slow, expensive and impractical for printing your mails and office documents.

Last edited:

Rudix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the reply!

I have tried myUs in the past but the problem is the local postal service, chances are you never receive the parcel (stolen/lost/who knows?), or it takes months. Not worth the the effort. So I have to stick to companies that will ship to South Africa and offer courier options.

I should have said "personal photo printing". I want to run the Pro-10 (ordered) at my second (country/holiday) home, mostly to print proofs to check images that will then later be printed on A2 on my Pro-1000 at my main residence. These Pro-1000 prints are for clients and I only use OEM ink for that.

The proofs are stuck up on the wall for a while, often I will see something I don't like in the image after a while, I will then fix if possible, reprint and check again. Once an image passes this "test" it will be included in my "for sale" portfolio.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@palombian and @Rudix , I sympatize with you. It's very annoying to await a parcel not knowing when it will arrive. In top of that, we're in the worst period of the year, specially if the parcel comes from abroad and has to pass through Customs.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
@palombian and @Rudix , I sympatize with you. It's very annoying to await a parcel not knowing when it will arrive. In top of that, we're in the worst period of the year, specially if the parcel comes from abroad and has to pass through Customs.

According to the tracking chain of myUS the last operator will be Belgian Post.
My packages are delivered in the post office nearby and kept for 14 days.
It is not urgent and (until now) I never ever lost a shipment or mail definitively (although it can take months indeed).
The most annoying is you can't order a small quantity when needed, you have to keep enough inventory.
This reduces the advantages of refilling.
Until now my (Canon PRO pigment) refilling ink costs 1/5 of OEM, via myUS it will be reduced to 1/3, so at the end ...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I ordered with PC via myUS on December 2 and the package is still in transit ...
And I taught our An Póst was slow with 3 to 4 week delays in customs, I’ll not complain anymore… At least it always gets here.. :)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
At the end.. perhaps it's best to go OEM all the way ?.

After some elemental calculations I discarded the option of using a third party forwarder for Precision Colors inks (Sorry Mike ). For a volume of ink costing up to $100-150 to a PC customer within the USA, if we take into account the extra fees and shipping from MyUS, plus 20% of VAT plus customs clearing fees, an European customer pays in total almost twice that amount.
Another option is to keep buying from Octoinkjet until the UK exits the E.U. and then find another reliable supplier of ink elsewhere in Europe (Sorry Martin).

Rudix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Unfortunately the additional cost plus shipping issues kills PC inks for me as well. For now Octoink looks like a good option. Anyone here who has experience with their inks? Inkowl's pricing and shipping would also work but I have found little on the web regarding quality.

Thanks for the advice everyone!