Canon Pro 10 Cartridges...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This new printer takes the PGI-72 cartridge, the printer may be new but the cartridge isnt.

Its a rebadged PGI-9 cartridge and its almost exactly the same but not quite,
it does however fit perfectly into the Pro 9500 and works pretty much the same.

The Chip of course is different and they made the left-hand side of the cartridge semi-transparent and removed the little clear window that was on the PGI-9s. (See Pictures)

5128_pgi-9_yellow.jpg
5128_pgi-72_sideview.jpg

So despite all of Canons efforts to launch newer model onto the market they have unwittingly made it 1000% more easier to refill these cartridges which I think we all can say Yippee. :celebrate

There should be no need now to keep 4 or 5 old CLI-8 cartridges printers in boxes in the garage in fear of the new technology; we can now have the newest printers with the oldest refillers in town.. :old :old

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Could the chip from the pgi9 be used on the new cart?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
rodbam said:
Could the chip from the pgi9 be used on the new cart?
I am currently using the new cartridge in my 9500 with a PGI-9 chip on board.. :thumbsup

denny2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
Hi,
This is my first post. I am new to refilling cartridges.
I just purchased a Pro-10 and want to refill the cartridges but, want them to have the same colors the originals.
Does anyone make an ink set that is formulated to print the same as the originals?
Thanks!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I fear the Pro-10 will not gain traction like the Pro9500 until the price is drastically reduced. The only reason why the Pro9500 truly gained traction was because Canon dropped the price to a fraction of its original price. I can't comment on the print quality of the Pro-10. When a deal comes up for the Pro-10, then I can afford to maybe acquire one and then work on its details. However, the Pro-100 is kind of a different kettle of fish. Even if you run out of ink and print and not do so for too long, you will likely recover the printhead. Countless people did this with the original Pro9000 before resetters were introduced.

With pigment it is a different situation when you run out of ink. the pigments inside the printhead do more damage or have more residues which do bad things and recovery is much harder but not impossible at times. I think HAT can attest to this. So a chicken and egg situation might evolve. You run a higher risk of more expensive damage if you run out of ink and not know it on a pigment machine. Those 9500s that were stashed away are likely to appreciate very nicely actually. My prediction is that some will pay more for a New In Box 9500 than a Pro-10.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
denny2 said:
Hi,
This is my first post. I am new to refilling cartridges.
I just purchased a Pro-10 and want to refill the cartridges but, want them to have the same colors the originals.
Does anyone make an ink set that is formulated to print the same as the originals?
Thanks!
There is no exclusive ink set for the Pro 10 yet simply because not enough guys are buying them.

However the 9500 inks are not a million miles away from the Pro 10 and they could be used without noticing a huge change in the colour output.

If you can afford it and your real fussy about your prints then your only option is OEM inks, I use a Pro 1 with the 9500 inks and am very happy with the quality output from that not to mention the huge savings I get.

Refilling of the PGI-72 cartridges couldnt be easier but you'll have to disable the ink monitoring till a resetter comes along, in the mean time use a scale to check the remaining ink levels in the cartridges.

Happy Refilling..

Mikesht

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
mikling said:
I fear the Pro-10 will not gain traction like the Pro9500 until the price is drastically reduced. The only reason why the Pro9500 truly gained traction was because Canon dropped the price to a fraction of its original price. I can't comment on the print quality of the Pro-10. When a deal comes up for the Pro-10, then I can afford to maybe acquire one and then work on its details. However, the Pro-100 is kind of a different kettle of fish. Even if you run out of ink and print and not do so for too long, you will likely recover the printhead. Countless people did this with the original Pro9000 before resetters were introduced.

With pigment it is a different situation when you run out of ink. the pigments inside the printhead do more damage or have more residues which do bad things and recovery is much harder but not impossible at times. I think HAT can attest to this. So a chicken and egg situation might evolve. You run a higher risk of more expensive damage if you run out of ink and not know it on a pigment machine. Those 9500s that were stashed away are likely to appreciate very nicely actually. My prediction is that some will pay more for a New In Box 9500 than a Pro-10.
Hello,
Right now Adorama sells Pro-10 for $300 after the rebate.
What price would you consider a fair price for this machine? Seems like a really good deal as is...
Mikhail

denny2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-10
I bought mine through the Canon store. they have $200 bucks off and a $100 rebate. I almost went for the Pro-100 but then the 10 was on sale. My wife is a photographer that shoots family pics and weddings. I saw a review of the Pro-100, and the skin tone was a little off with the dye. But skin color looks natural with a pigment printer. With my wife having mostly people for subjects she was wanting the Pro-10 and the sale made it better for us.
The Hat, you think I should try the 9500 inks? Thanks for all the responses!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You got nothing to lose by trying the 9500 inks they cost just about the same as a set of new cartridges anyway.

There will be some slight changes to your photos most definitely, but nothing to radical and it is easy to correct these with a little bit of know how.

Precisioncolor would be the place I'd recommend for you to get your first supply of inks from
and they also do the clear gloss optimised..:)