Canon Pro-1 - Reviving for a good home

gavinmckenzie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
I've read lots of threads here about the Pro-1, and I'm hoping for some guidance.

I have an original lightly-used Pro-1 which, like many, sat unused for the last couple of years. Though it was semi-regularly powered up, it hasn't printed anything in a couple of years.
It's a beast of course, and I love it, but I don't have room for it in my Toronto condo. It's cosmetically in perfect condition, as it's always had a custom dust cover on it.
I was hoping to revive it enough to resell it, or give it away to a good home, but after a few regular cleaning cycles I am left with a few persistent issues on the nozzle check pattern.

1. The PBK pattern is a little short, but given that the others in the same group aren't printing short, I'm hopeful that indicates it's just a cleaning issue and not an electrical issue.
2. The yellow pattern isn't printing at all. Does this indicate a clog in the supply line?

I've run two regular clean cycles, followed by a deep clean a few hours later.
I don't know if more cleaning cycles will help to revive the yellow, but at some point soon I'm going to run out of ink.

So, my questions:
- I'd love any advice on how to interpret the nozzle check results. I'll attach a photo of the printout.
- If there's anyone in Toronto could give this printer a good home, I'm willing to consider that rather than have it go to an electronics recycler / landfill.

Attachments

• IMG_1889.jpeg
    IMG_1889.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 174

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is only one interpretation I can give and it’s not good, The PBK is showing signs of electrical failure and that in itself is fatal, while the yellow is missing completely, and with a bit work it may come back, but because of the PBK’s current condition it’s pointless.

The only way this printer can work again properly is with a new print head, plus a complete set of new carts, so your printer has become a liability, and even a good home is now doubtful, and a door stop or landfill is now its only option, Sorry…

Though it was semi-regularly powered up, it hasn't printed anything in a couple of years.
This action alone was what done the damage, because without actual printing it was worthless to power on the printer, and a bit of advice for others, don’t leave the Pro 1 turned on 24/7 that too can also be fatal..

gavinmckenzie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Thank you for the reply. This saves me the trouble of trying to further revive or give away the printer.
The advice I received when I purchased the printer was to power it on regularly as a way to prevent clogs etc. Unfortunately it seems this advice was harmful.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The advice I received when I purchased the printer was to power it on regularly as a way to prevent clogs
Don’t worry about it, most who bought the Pro 1 have also been given the wrong advice, because it seldom clogs and is unlike any other Canon printer that needs special handling.. A Pro 10 or Prograf 300 would make a good replacement..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Sad for your PRO-1, but you are not alone.

Most printer gurus and also the Canon rep advise to keep a printer powered on. Why ?

I always power off my printer when finished (as I do with all electric appliances) and almost never had a clog even after a month or more inactivity. In this case it went away after one cleaning instruction.
The printheads of my PRO-9500's died from old age (and some bad 3th party ink), until now no issues with both the 9500II and the PRO-10 after almost 2 years.