Canon Pro-1 - No Matt Black coming through

happyotter

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon pixma pro 1
Hello - I'm newly registered on this forum, though I've read many threads over the past few years and really appreciate all the knowledge here!

I'm finally at the stage where I need advice on my problem printer.

I have a Canon Pixma Pro-1. I turned it off for a couple of weeks (actually my hubby switched it off!) and now that it's back on it won't print matt black. I only discovered this after printing an image - so I suspect (after reading other threads) that I may have damaged the print head by doing this.
I have since run the standard and deep cleans (only on the group with MBK in) and it has not improved the nozzle check at all. I've waited a day and done again, still no improvement.

I have quite a bit of ink left in bottles (I use the Octoink refill kit) so I could run the full deep clean option - but I'm reluctant to waste ink doing this (and filling up the waste ink pads) if it isn't going to work.

So, my questions:
1. Is there anything else I should try? Seeing as no ink is getting through at all, does this suggest a broken print head?
2. Are there any other similar printers which would take my ink? I only bought my printer for £140, so it's not a major loss, but if I replace it, ideally I would get a printer which I can still use my ink in!

Thanks so much for any advice offered!

Attachments

• IMG_20220505_141623.jpg
    IMG_20220505_141623.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220505_141630.jpg
    IMG_20220505_141630.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20220505_141643.jpg
    IMG_20220505_141643.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 92

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I only discovered this after printing an image - so I suspect (after reading other threads) that I may have damaged the print head by doing this.
The Matte Black nozzles are burned out and can’t be repaired no matter what you do, and a new print head is the only thing that will solve this problem, but they are not that easy to get a hold of and are very expensive.

The other cheaper alternative to find a second hand Pro 10 and that will work with all you current inks, but finding one of them may not be that easy because of Brexit, you have a very limited market now.. Sorry..
P.S. Always run a nozzle check before you start on serious printing...