Canon pro-1 b200 club member

schmo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro-1
Hi Folks.
Just joined the b200 club with my canon pro-1 after many years of fairly reliable printing. Keen to try and resurrect the thing without sending it for service which at the lowest estimate comes in at £420 :(

I have just started using non canon inks from cartridge save. https://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/PGI29-PACK-CPT.html

The last run of prints from the machine were flawless. All patterns good and running smooth and clean.

However b200 error surfaced again last night. I have had it once before with using only canon factory ink. Did the unplug thing and she roared back into life. Not so lucky today. I left it unplugged for 8 hours. Perhaps this isn't long enough?

From what I can gather from all the useful information here, is that I need to replace the print head. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and this fixed the communication errors. Have tried the various hold / button press combinations that I can find and yet just the continual 10 flashes.

Any help with sourcing and replacing the printer head would be much appreciated. I have a full set of ink and plenty paper and editions of photographic prints to finish and sell. So keen to at least get to the end of my print runs before exploring the option of replacing it. Perhaps with an epson this time? Considering buying a second hand pro-1 of ebay in the hope of scrounging parts and making the whole enterprise viable again. Any advice slash wisdom greatly recieved.

Thankyou

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Sorry to hear of the b200 error. Seems you had a second life after the first occurrence. Chances are that if you get the print head working again it will fail again. Lather, rinse, repeat. You are wise to consider either new print head or new printer altogether. One of our Pro-1 experts should be along before too long, so hang in there.

I have just started using non canon inks
editions of photographic prints to finish and sell
There are NO third party inks that are anywhere near as archival as OEM inks. If you are selling prints then the forum wisdom is to use only OEM inks if you value your customers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Just joined the b200 club with my canon pro-1 after many years of fairly reliable printing.
Hi @schmo, it looks like you’re at the end of the road with the printer, the cursed B200 error if cleared again will come back very quickly or never clear, the print head on the Pro 1 is not serviceable and therefore will need replacing.

You now have two choices to make, send it for Service or try to source a print head and install it yourself, but to get it to a Service Agent you’ll have to take it yourself, because the machine needs to be kept flat during transporting, and couriers never do that.. Otherwise (Scratch 1 printer).

The cost with both your choices is going to be money, and time because a service will take at least a month and if you do it yourself, that’s about how long it will take also, plus sourcing a new head won’t be easy and will cost as much as the service will.

Buying another Pro 1 for parts is also a waste of time because it’s very difficult to change any parts inside this beast,she's (Clyde built) and when you need help changing the print head, just ask and I will send you the detailed instructions.

A third alternative is to buy a Canon Pro 10 and use that, this will get you up and running far more quickly, the printer is easy to refill and you can even use the Pro 1 inks in this printer, and best of all it prints almost as good as the Pro 1 without wasting all your good inks.

www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/Item/qy6-0081-canon-print-head

www.eparts.fr/fr/print-head-tete-d-impression-qy6-0081.html

www.ceins.de/epages/Ceins.sf/de_DE/?ObjectID=94243255

schmo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro-1
Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 12.26.32.png

Thanks for the replies. I'd say it's pretty goosed aye :). Smells hot in there.

TomAllaway

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100s, Pixma Pro1
Hi Schmo, crc-tasktron.co.uk have a sale on at the moment for Canon spares including printheads. As others have mentioned I do not know if the printhead can be installed by anybody other than a service engineer, but it might be worth enquiring.
Can I ask what you have done with your previous empty Pro1 cartridges. If available would be interested in purchasing them. Cheers

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'd say it's pretty goosed aye :).
Check out the Canon Pro 10 for several good reasons, for starters it will have you back printing in no time at all, and as your very familiar with the Canon printers the changeover would be simple.

You’re going to pay as much if not more to have your current printer fixed, but this way you get a brand new printer which will last your for years with a lot less problems, the Pro 10 is much easier to configure to the way you normally print, much more user friendlier..

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/1160141K/a3-printers/canon/pixma-pro-10s-a3-photo-printer

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Check out the Canon Pro 10 for several good reasons, for starters it will have you back printing in no time at all, and as your very familiar with the Canon printers the changeover would be simple.

You’re going to pay as much if not more to have your current printer fixed, but this way you get a brand new printer which will last your for years with a lot less problems, the Pro 10 is much easier to configure to the way you normally print, much more user friendlier..

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/1160141K/a3-printers/canon/pixma-pro-10s-a3-photo-printer

Indeed, as you can see on José Rodriguez's (@jtoolman) youtube channel (a tip when you can't fall asleep :)) there is no visible difference in prints.
That you can recover the PRO-1 inks is a strong argument too.
As I can see it also accepts the inks of the PRO-1000 (2000, 4000).

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Using Pro1 inks in a Pro10 won’t harm the printer but the color gamut of Pro1 and Pro10 inks aren’t exactly the same, as you surely know well. Serious vendors sell different inks for each model. That implies owning a colorimeter to make custom profiles or going through a lot of trial and error in the driver settings to achieve a good color match with original Pro10 ink.
Of course, for casual prints not requiring great color accuracy, no harm in using Pro1 magenta or cyan in a Pro10.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Based on @jtoolman 's videos the inks are the same (except 2 more greys in the PRO-1).
I can confirm only magenta and red. I mix both without issues.

The ImagePrograph series most probably have a different inkset (using also blue).
Custom profiling can solve this.
To be seen is if the physical properties of the inks match.

Latest posts