Canon printhead takes a bath

earthworm

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon ip 4700, about 2 to 4 years old, "low" miles, mostly Sudoku.
Several weeks ago, I finally re-newed the ink, after I ran the black dry (nearly,IMO.)
Cleaning after cleaning only used up the new ink...
Insanity, using ink to clean the printer head.
So, I removed the head , easy enough, I am an ex-mechanic.
I have thrown cauction to the winds and have sprayed the head without discrimination with brand X "windex" w/ammonia.....using water as a rinse...
Crazy, but I can buy a new printer for the same price as a new ip4700 head....
But, then a new Mercedes engine costs more than a new Yugo....
And a new ink supply will cost more than a new HP printer.
On CraigsList, I have no trouble finding HP units for $25 to $50..but no Brothers did I spy...maybe one Canon..
So, we shall see.....

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
What's your problem?? Does the black pigment not work anymore? If the pigment cart is being drained by successive cleanings, at least that's evidence that the purge unit is working and ink is passing through the nozzles.

Yes, ink is used to "clean" the printheads. That's all that desktop inkjet printers have available to use for the purpose. Although you COULD feed it a cart refilled with Windex (with some dye black mixed in for visability). Then you would have to flush out the cleaning solution with....pure black ink.

Wayne

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
At least you can get Windex. In the UK, (I tried Amazon UK) you get this:

Windex Multisurface Cleaner by Johnson S C Inc (Misc.)
Buy new : 80.73
In stock
DIY & Tools: See all items

It must be all of 250 mL for about $127.

Regards

Ian

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Emulator said:
At least you can get Windex. In the UK, (I tried Amazon UK) you get this:

Windex Multisurface Cleaner by Johnson S C Inc (Misc.)
Buy new : 80.73
In stock
DIY & Tools: See all items

It must be all of 250 mL for about $127.

Regards

Ian
Ian go to your nearest Lidl store and get their W5 window cleaner its does the same job as Windex. :)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi The Hat

Thank you, that is very useful info, I have a Lidl about half a mile away. The trouble is they have so many good reduced price items, that I never come out without buying half a dozen things I don't really need. :drool

I am sure you will have noticed, I have adopted Rodbam's abreviation 'Emu' as an suitable logo. I hope he won't want a useage fee. :(

Regards

Ian

earthworm

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The problem is, of course, she prints not in black....the cleanings only consumed ink, IMO, its insane to use expensive ink to clean.
Enter the "windex".
Some Windex has no ammonia..I think its ammonia that does the cleaning of the head.
So I am using the $1 Walmart window cleaner rather than Windex (water,ammonia and artificial coloring).
Its tempting to use straight ammonia, but this scares me...I know little of cleaning heads....other than NEVER to mix ammonia with bleach !!!
I have, I think cleaned the print head using the spray window cleaner, rinsing with clean water(fairly clean, IMO) and drying using the dehumidifier fan forces air..
The next step is to order some decent refilled cartridges.
IMO, those from InkSell are not so good, as the PGI-220BK cartridge shows a very poor solution - a lot of pigment only in the reservoir.
Ink recommendations ?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If cleaning cycles actually consumes black pigment ink from your cart, AND it does not print black pigment, you may have a software issue or electrical issue. Ink consumption is proof that ink is actually flowing through the printhead nozzles into the purge system and then into the waste pads.

If you get zero black during printing, then I don't know what your problem is, BUT I KNOW WHAT IT NOT! It is NOT clogging!

Wayne

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Using tap water for cleaning/rinsing the head is poor practice. Distilled water (or just original windex) should be used to prevent mineral deposits from clogging the very small nozzles.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Emulator said:
Hi The Hat

I am sure you will have noticed, I have adopted Rodbam's abreviation 'Emu' as an suitable logo. I hope he won't want a useage fee. :(

Regards

Ian
No worries about rodbam, hes more your Skippy type .. :gig

earthworm

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
turbguy said:
Using tap water for cleaning/rinsing the head is poor practice. Distilled water (or just original windex) should be used to prevent mineral deposits from clogging the very small nozzles.
Yeah.....sloppy and lazy I am at times....yet, for my vehicles cooling system, I insist on distilled water.......and , of course the anti-rust.
I'll order some ink today and clean the contacts with 50% isopropyl alcohol...probably 90% is better.
Thanks for the responses.