Canon PixmaPro 9000 Octoink refill

bart

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just purchased complete set of refill inks. Presently refilled only red and green-refilled by german method which seemed to go well. Upon printing first photos-on Canon photo paper plus glossy I find a change in apearance of colours. Particularly chestnut (in a horse photo) appears a duller brown without vibrant chestnut hue. I used Octoink-is this what I should expect?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Chances are the mix of IS inks with OEM is not providing the correct colour balance...

I've noticed other discussion on this that negates this potentially but it's certainly the first thing that springs to mind... I do know there are a lot of very keen Pro9000 folks getting the IS ink sets though so perhaps someone with that actual model printer can offer some input that might help.

NB: Just got back to some kind of "normal" after crazy family visiting, funeral, wedding and moving to the new workshop...

ni9eofse7en

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You will get some colour shift initially, not major but probably enough for a keen eye. Surprised you have refilled red and green first, these were my last to need topping up. Photo Magenta my first. Might also depend on the paper, never used Canons own, found Ilford Galerie to give me best overall results. I use Lyson for panoramas because they do a 13" wide roll and its not too far off. Had reasonable results with cheap Lidl photo paper, but each to there own. We all see a tad differently, what I thought looked good was not so good to my uncle, he's an ex semi pro photographer and he likes Wilkinsons own photo paper.

I spent some time early on with my PRO9000 trying different settings, which meant it did not take long till all but red and green were being refilled, and then improving my skills, and I use the word loosely, using photoshop elements and a program you might have read on here called Qimage, and generally I am happy with my results. Oh and a decent camera helps, I use a Canon EOS 500D, not the most expensive dslr, but better than compacts and yer snapshots from mobiles. Got some half decent summer shots which I have put on a cheap canvas paper and they're not too shabby. Just keep your eye on the colour shift and let it all settle down till you have refilled a few times and all carts are on all refills then judge the output. There are many on here who will help and guide you through any issue you come across.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
It seems very strange to me that you have seen a colour difference by just having the Ocktoink red & green in the printer with your other OEM inks. As the person with the the strange name said the red & green inks seem to be the last ones to empty & I don't think the red & green are used that much when using Photo paper plus glossy, I think the printer utilises red & green more when using the Photo paper pro papers with the high quality settings enabled.
I haven't noticed any drop off in colour quality by using a mixture of IS inks (Octoink or Precision Colors) & OEM inks & now I'm on 100% IS inks everything seems to be the same.
Can you post a shot of the two prints which show this colour difference?