Canon pixma range and similar models

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, thought i'd kick off this new thread which is dedicated to the newer Canon's such as the mg range etc. i will start the post by repeating some info that i posted on another general thread.
this is the link to the v3200 service tool which i know works on mg5250 and mg6150 and maybe other models. http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...X&ei=T1kKUb-_CMXP0QWmx4HYCw&ved=0CHYQ7gEwCTgK
you will find the link to download about halfway down the page. service tool v3200 is compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
Note if you reset after getting absorber full alarm you should open the case and either clean or replace pads not print on regardless.

10294_service_tool_eeprom_use.jpg

this is the method for resetting the absorber counter button numbered 3 is only used if you wish to reinstate a previous reading, otherwise use button numbered 2 to reset both D values in the eeprom.

10294_untitled-1.jpg

this is the eeprom printout button numbered 1 use it before you reset and again after to check
change has taken place. D= is absorber % full resets to 0% DF= is absorber life, resets to 1000.

finally a link to service manual for mg5220 which is the USA version of the mg5250. the difference being the cd label function, something to do with USA copywrite. This manual may suit other models with similar cases for dissassembly purposes.
you will find "get manual" tucked away in the first few lines of text, quite easy to miss. note "get manual" takes a little while to appear in the first few lines of text, you may see "processing" for a little while be patient it will appear. p.s it's the text at the bottom of the page.
http://elektrotanya.com/canon_pixma-mg5220_sm.pdf/download.html

:thumbsup

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Refilling the canon printer range has become more difficult with the newer printers as Canon have decided to make the carts completely opaque to make level assessment difficult.
However with the mg5250 and the mg6150 and maybe other models which use cli525/526 carts you can make use of empty cli 520/521 carts which have a clear side window. The carts are easily available from Octoinkjet or from Ebay.
The only thing you have to do is transfer your original canon chips from the 525's to the 521's, one at a time to avoid confusion! believe me you can forget which chip is which.
If you need more 525 chips you can buy the empty carts on Ebay, i bought 2 sets for about 3.50 each set. (cheap as chips)
The accepted opinion of this forum is to use genuine Canon carts only, however before i started refilling i bought some ready filled carts for the mg5250 from jet tec. I was impressed with the build quality of these carts so when i started refilling i refilled these also. They have one clear side making level assessment easy. So far I've refilled them about 4 times now with no ill affects so far. The Canon chips and the chips on the jet tec are both resettable with my blue chip resetter so no guess work with remaining ink when in use.
10294_cli-jet_tec.jpg
10294_blue_chip_resetter.jpg

F

FastForward

Glad to see you took up the moderator's suggestion Pix. You are off to an excellent start. A central knowledge base for the MG/MX series was long overdue. Good work!!

F

FastForward

Just so people can see if they are in the right place here is a short list of the North American models that use this type of PGI 225/525/725 and CLI 226/526/726 type of smaller capacity individual color opaque cartridges.

MX712-MX892-IP4920-IP4820-MG5320-MG-5320-MG5120-MG5220-MX882-MG6120-MG8120-MG6220-MG8220-iX6520

Printers in other regions have slightly different model numbers with 50 instead of 20 for the last 2 digits and some in between models are not listed. As most of these models are now discontinued it makes compiling a complete list a little more time consuming.

These printers have now become more desirable now that there is no resetter/clear sided OEM replacement/substitutable cart for the latest Canon mid range models.

pixmania

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
FastForward said:
Just so people can see if they are in the right place here..........................................................
Great to see a little more info flowing into this thread.