canon pixma pro 9500 error code B200: locked up, access printhead?

malter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
newby question here...thanks in advance for any help! canon pixma pro 9500. error code B200. Talked with canon (no help) and searched forums, no help. Seems it is the printhead (likely). But printhead stuck in resting postion. Cannot get it to middle for access. Alternating blue-orange blinking lights. Nothing happens with machine, totally silent. Tried a couple of things, it cannot be forced. tried turning on and pulling plug, no go. Any thoughts on how to get access to the printhead? Thanks. Malter:(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
malter Any thoughts on how to get access to the printhead? Thanks. Malter
The error code B200 on other Canon printers indicates a failed print head so its possible that is your problem.
Given that when a print head fails it normally allows you to move it to the centre for replacement so you may have another problem entirely.
Could you explain just what you were doing when or before this error appeared because it is more lightly to be a paper or feed problem.

One way to force the print head to move to the centre is to remove the plug when the printer is powered off and then the USB cable.
Leave the USB cable out of the printer and connect the power cable after two minutes,
then turn the printer on and raise the top lid once the print head is in the middle of the carriage-way quickly remove the power plug once more..:)

malter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hat, thanks for the quick reply! A few weeks ago, printing some pictures, maybe 20 sheets of 8.5x11 with family photos. So a pretty big job (at least for me). Everything fine, turned printer off when done. Last week, turned on printer to do some printing and it won't; immediatelt displayed the alternate blinking lights and no sound from machine. Error code B200 came up on the screen. So, no symptoms whatsoever. I use the rear feed and only one sheet at a time. No jams visible or noted, everything complete when I finished. Downloaded the "tech" manual and not much help. Tried to enter "service mode" but will not. Took plastic "top" off printer (very easy to do) and have direct access to the printhead now. Removed printhead (and inks) and reinstalled a couple of times with no luck. Nothing visibly wrong with printhead (contacts clean and look good). Hate to run off and buy a printhead-cheapest I found was $130! Ouch. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
malter
Have you look into the blinking lights yet, whats the sequence of the blinking light. (How many)
The other possibility is that the print head could be caught up on the purge unit that can sometimes happen too.

One of the earliest jobs I printed was 14000 sheets over two days without a hitch and its still going strong (its built like a tank).
I wouldnt rush out just yet to buy another print head..;)

malter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hat, thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it! The lights are alternating 1 blink blue for 1 blink yellow. According to the manual, I think it references error code for this. I have the printhead out and do not see anything mechanically wrong with my eye. I see a "repair disk" for sale on ebay (supposed to be canon) and they say this will remove error codes and reset everything. Does this have any merit? Other ideas? Thanks again for your help!

malter

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hat, one more thing, I was just looking around in the printer for the mechanism that is locking the carridge in the resting position, it is a white "tab" that is spring loaded. I lifted it and the carridge moves. It looks to be in order.
Thanks

torance

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 9500 mkII
Hat, one more thing, I was just looking around in the printer for the mechanism that is locking the carridge in the resting position, it is a white "tab" that is spring loaded. I lifted it and the carridge moves. It looks to be in order.
Thanks

anybody else know which white tab he's refering to? do i need to open the whole machine or just the tray to get the white tab?

my newly bought 9500, 1st setup (ya, i know it's 2023) got this error.