Canon Pixma Pro-100

d87cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I run a small computer shop that also offers a photo printing service. I'm currently using an ageing i9950 which I love, but is giving me problems now and then (see my other thread) and am wondering whether to buy the Pro-100, it can be bought fairly cheaply second hand nowadays. I'd ask to see a nozzle check prior to committing of course.

Are there any issues to look out for with this printer? Any annoying niggles that could become frustrating if you're printing 100-500 4x6 photo's per week on it with a few A4's and A3's every now and then.

PS, I'll be using genuine Canon inks for this so don't worry about any refill issues.

I'd appreciate your thoughts,

Dan

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
My views which I present mainly as my observations as A Pro-100 user.

it is an excellent and sturdy home printer, but by no means industrial strength. Also not blazingly fast.

As long as your 100-500 prints per week do not have to be produced to a "drop-dead" deadline the speed is probably acceptable.

A bigger concern would be the durability of the printer and my opinion is that for a business environment you really would have to buy two so as to have a backup as a hedge against catastrophic failure at a critical time. Murphy's law and all that!

Take it from me Murphy was a cock-eyed optimist - reality can be far worse than Murphy's law :(

Just some thoughts to spark discussion.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
When running that amount of prints all in one go, it would be advisable to use Quiet Mode, it helps keep the temperature down on the print head.

Quiet.png

d87cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Awesome replies guys thanks!

Roy, points noted, but I'll be keeping the i9950 for a while so that will be my backup. Currently running without any backup so this can only be better.

"Hat", great shout, can I ask how it keeps it cooler? Does it print slower etc?

Dan

d87cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Possibly going to hold out for a PRO-1 now. There doesn't seem to be much of a price difference, but I think I'll appreciate the higher capacity ink carts.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes the printer will be that bit slower running in Quiet Mode, but you’ll hardly notice it after a while.

The capacity is exactly the same for both machines, in fact the cartridges are identical except for the chip on the Pro 100, the 3 cartridge codes are BCl-6, CLl-8 and CLl-42.

d87cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
On the Pro-1 they are PGi-29's with 36ml of ink vs 13ml for the 6 & 8

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you decide on the Pro 1 then you’ll be better off switching to satin photo paper for a much better finish rather than using full gloss..