Canon Pixma Pro-100 ink refills

cream

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Is there any way to refill the ink cartridges for the Canon Pixma Pro-100? I have not really been able to find anything specific, but I thought I would ask just in case. You can find refill ink on ebay, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about being able to actually use it...

Now, if there is no way to refill at the moment, do we know on average how long it takes for these things to work out? Maybe from looking at past pro canons? I understand that the pro-100 is still a relatively new model. I am interested in getting this printer, but i have really enjoyed the freedoms of using a CISS system in the past, i was hoping for refillable or a CISS for this model some time after my first set of carts run dry.

Thanks in advanced for any information you might provide.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi cream and welcome.

The Pro 100 is only out a couple of months and there is a limited amount of supplies and advise available for it at present.

That said its a very good printer but would be a bit of a non runner trying to put and keep a CISS on this printer,
the ongoing almost daily maintenance would be extremely time consuming and non productive.

The best way to use this printer without a shadow of dough is to refill the OEM cartridges,
the CLI-42 cartridges are pretty easy to fill and there is plenty of I.S. ink available for it.

The Pro 100 replaces the now aged Pro 9000 which uses the very same cartridges (Just a different code)
and most guys who own a Pro 9000 have been filling their CLI-8 cartridges for years and would recommend it to any newbie refiller.

There isnt a resetter or ARCs available for the CLI-42 chips just yet
but dont let a small thing like that stop you enjoying the freedom of refilling..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have my Pro-100 on its way. I picked it up on Amazon with a $200 rebate. If you just buy the printer, it is a $100 rebate. If you buy the printer and paper it is $200 rebate. The paper pays for itself and some because it cost $50. I won't receive it till the end of March or so. I look forward to this printer to verify my hunches.

cream

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I Mikling, funny you mention the amazon deal, that is the exact reason that i am considering this printer. I happen to be in the market for a new printer, and I wanted to upgrade to something more at the pro level. This deal is too good to pass up. I didn't realize that they were backordered though. Thats a shame, but thats not going to stop me from taking advantage of that great deal. I might even get a camera for good measure (extra $100 savings)!

The Hat, thank you for the info, you definitely answered my question. I am fine with refilling over a CISS, to be honest there are problems that came with the CISS that I would prefer to avoid, so refilling sounds like a great option. My biggest concern (since i have only used a CISS and have never refilled), is about the resetter. It is my understanding that the resetter is a necessary part of the refilling equation, that just refilling without resetting the printer will still see it as an empty cartridge. Is this not the case, or can I use the same resetter that is used for the pro9000 cartridges. Sorry for the overly noobish questions, I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks again, i look forward to hearing from you.

JK

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
This forum has the best advice on refilling just about any cartridge, including the CLI-42
so while youre waiting for your great bargain to arrive (Lucky sod) you can browse the many posts on the subject,
and if there are any question still un-answered most guys will jump in to help out.

As in the earlier thread I mentioned that there were no resetters available or ARC chips just yet,
so disabling the ink monitoring is the only good option for now.

Disabling the on screen ink monitor is not ideal but works perfectly and its easy to get use to it
by being alert to how much ink your using,
it will return again when you either reset the chip or put in a brand new unused cartridge.

The current resetter for the 9000 (CLI-8) cartridges unfortunately wont work for the new ones so by using two sets of cartridges,
one set in the printer and another spare you will not run out of ink easily..:)

As both these printers use the same cartridges they are interchangeable with one and other,
so long as you remember to have the correct chip on board for each of the printers.
(Same carts, Just different chips)

cream

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks again Hat.

I really appreciate the info. Disabling ink monitoring was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Not a big deal, as you can always tell just by looking at the page when the ink is running low.

I have already found some videos on how to refill the carts. Looks like this is going to work out well. I will be spending some time on this forum to make sure i am not missing anything.

Thanks!

variform

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Not sure if I should have created a new thread for this but I'll just try here.

The Hat, you mentioned using CLI-8, but the Pro-100 use two different inks, a grey and light grey new to the CLI-42 series instead of the green and red used in the CLI-8 series

Are there other sources of grey/lgrey available you know of that could be used?
If necessary could I use Canon OEM grey and light grey with CLI-8 non oem carts without issue? (ink detection disabled of course)

I've seen full bottles available on EBAY claiming they cover all 8 colors including they greys but it seems risky as I haven't seen them anywhere else and in anything but large bottles. On top of that the pictures on the ebay listings show 3 black bottles, none of them saying grey

Sorry if I am missing something

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
cream said:
Disabling ink monitoring was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Not a big deal, as you can always tell just by looking at the page when the ink is running low.
No you can't. That's way too late, and you would have to be watching every page as it came out. A huge waste of time. I don't know whether running the print head dry or almost dry will instantly fry it, but in any case you really don't want to do that.

The cartridges are transparent, though, so you can tell by looking them (and watch the page count). Or you can weigh them. For what it's worth, I think it's usually recommended that you refill these way before the sponge empties. If I recall correctly, there's even an advantage in refilling when the ink chamber is empty.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
variform said:

The Hat, you mentioned using CLI-8, but the Pro-100 use two different inks, a grey and light grey new to the CLI-42 series instead of the green and red used in the CLI-8 series

If necessary could I use Canon OEM grey and light grey with CLI-8 non oem carts without issue? (ink detection disabled of course)

I've seen full bottles available on EBAY claiming they cover all 8 colors including they greys but it seems risky as I haven't seen them anywhere else and in anything but large bottles. On top of that the pictures on the ebay listings show 3 black bottles, none of them saying grey

When I said you can use CLI-8s, I was referring to the cartridge itself, CLI-42 and CLI-8 cartridges are exactly the same,
the only difference is the on board chip so the cartridges are interchangeable.

There is a grey available and you can use the same ink in both grey cartridges or use OEM light grey if you wish too.

I wouldnt recommend the use of compatible cartridges at all or buying from just any ink seller on EBay either,
why not use the OEM cartridges that came with your printer;
there is also a number of good ink suppliers mentioned regularly on this forum, see my signature below.

variform

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
variform said:

When I said you can use CLI-8s, I was referring to the cartridge itself, CLI-42 and CLI-8 cartridges are exactly the same,
the only difference is the on board chip so the cartridges are interchangeable.

There is a grey available and you can use the same ink in both grey cartridges or use OEM light grey if you wish too.

I wouldnt recommend the use of compatible cartridges at all or buying from just any ink seller on EBay either,
why not use the OEM cartridges that came with your printer;
there is also a number of good ink suppliers mentioned regularly on this forum, see my signature below.
I was actually just browsing precision colors and thought I might be able to get by with the 6 color refill sampler set for the ip6600/ip6700 and a stray cli-226gy refill

I'm fine with refilling, I've just never done it before.

I don't actually have the PRO-100 yet, just trying to figure out if I should buy it for $135 /incl Luster 50 pack (after $300 rebate on Amazon) or a ix6520 for around the same price. I was originally going to go with the ix6520 but noticed how cheap the PRO-100 is right now (after rebate)

Am I correct in assuming that based on your experience you would suggest refilling with either one? In which case availability of aftermarket ink is less of an issue