Canon Pixma Pro 100 idle for 3 months

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
I will be having to leave my Pro 100 idle for about three months and am concerned with ink drying and clogging. It seems that I have seen people report that they leave the Pro 100 for a month with no prevention technique and it works fine. Others seem to suggest a Qimage scheduled weekly print job. Others say put a bowl of water inside a plastic tent over the printer.

All this leaves me wondering which is the best approach. Would like to hear from anyone who has left their Pro 100 idle for over a couple of months.

Thanks!

I think there is way too much worrying about this. I'm willing to learn something if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that with the print heads in park position, there won't be any evaporation of inks.

The only issue I've had with leaving my Pro 100 unused for months is weird. It's been so long, I can't remember exactly what orange light warning comes up, but it gets resolved by turning the printer off AND unplugging it, waiting a minute, and then back on.

I avoid this now by unplugging the printer (after OFF, of course) when I know it won't be used for a long time. I know that doesn't sound logical, but definitely my experience.

Casual Printer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma 100
Thanks, based on the experience of you and others, I am simply going to leave it sit. Unplugging it is a good idea. I am wondering if I should install new cartridges to make sure it doesn't have problems with ink evap and dry out but it sounds like you have not been concerned with that. If I were to uninstall partially used cartridges (I use Canon ink) and install fresh cartridges I wonder if there is a way to store the partials such that I will be able to use them when I return. Again, thanks

Richie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro-100
Thanks, based on the experience of you and others, I am simply going to leave it sit. Unplugging it is a good idea. I am wondering if I should install new cartridges to make sure it doesn't have problems with ink evap and dry out but it sounds like you have not been concerned with that. If I were to uninstall partially used cartridges (I use Canon ink) and install fresh cartridges I wonder if there is a way to store the partials such that I will be able to use them when I return. Again, thanks
As long as the inks currently installed are not very low, I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't think it's worth installing a brand new set of OEM cartridges. I would take more precaution if I was refilling on my own, not because of the inks, rather there are more chances for user error in refilling.

Here's an idea, I'm not sure what type of user you are (windows, mac, android, iphone etc).. but I'm Windows and android, and on Android I can remote desktop to my computer using TeamViewer or Chrome Remote Desktop. You can be on the other side of the world, log on to your main computer and just run a nozzle check half way through your stay. I access my main desktop from my phone and surface pro all the time while on vacation or just if I'm out of town and need to use photoshop or other resource heavy programs.

Casual Printer

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma 100
Thanks. Well, I am about an hour away from being picked up for the airport so will not have time to try the remote user stuff before I go. I might study this once I land and do it from afar. However, I am increasingly confident that all will go well during the absence. Thanks again.