Canon Pixma Pro 10 Refilling

john kelly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro-10
Very closely studied visual comparison of Pro-1 Vs Pro-100 prints: Pro-100 rarely comes close to neutral B&W with Canon OEM ink and they shift significantly depending on light source: Pro-10 PIGMENT and presumably Pro-1 pigment shift no more than a silver print would under all sorts of light (sub-tungsten, tungsten, various fluor, contrasty/sharp daylight, soft/cool/shade daylight). The pigment printer is a much better bet for B&W than is the Pro-100, but from what I've seen they are both good color printers. This isn't a function of paper. THEREFORE I think Pro-100 wouldn't be a good bet if one wants to sell or exhibit B&W prints.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Pro-100 shifts far less than other dye ink printers would in the same light and it is part of the secret sauce that Canon has come up with. Kudos to them for making this possible.
There is no alternative to having proper ICCs that match light sources and in the last couple years or so I provided three such lighting conditions. I have played around with more and I will release new ICCs that address those light conditions.
For normal viewing the D50 light source is still there. I will in the future also provide a D65 source as well. There are conditions where a D65 might be better suited....experimentation is in order. It is a subtle shift and affects B&W as well as skin tones.
The standard tungsten and also a more segregated Fluorescent - Cool White and Daylight tubes. Keep in minds tubes differ by manufacturers so they might or might not work and are to be used where the D50 or D65 do not cut it. So 5 lighting conditions will be provided for an ICC set. This gets you into the ballpark of something like a Colorbyte RIP, something that hobbyists and some pros cannot afford.

These will first be released in conjunction intially with the PCK3HD inkset for Epsons for the R2880 through to the P800! and eventually will be released for the PC-42G inkset for the Pro-100....keep in mind...this comes at no cost to the user!

Take a look at Colorbyte and the 5 lighting conditions....
https://www.colorbytesoftware.com/Ver10/theBest.shtml

Project for the end of the summer will be some QTR B&W profiles.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I may have misunderstood but reading this thread it appears to be saying that we can't profile our paper using the Fine Art media setting. This is the case when using A4 size paper because the enforced border prevents the whole Colormunki patch from printing but how I do it is to use an A3+ (13x19) & set the preferences on Fine Art Matte & the orientation to Landscape on my Pro 9500. Then I front feed the sheet into the printer & it prints the 1st test patch at the leading edge nearest to the front of the printer. Once that has dried & has been scanned in with the Munki I then reinsert the paper with the original leading edge going in first towards the back of the printer & then hit print for the second patch & it prints out nearest the second leading edge so I end up with the two colour patch's on one side of the A3+ paper.
This isn't as wasteful as it sounds because I use Canons Fine Art Natural a 100% cotton Paper from B&H & it's double sided so I can print on the back of the test patch sheet. The quality of the prints on this paper is terrific & looks way better than when I tried Canons Photo Matte the prints look terrible in comparison. I will have to try it again though using the MPK ink but I can't see it coming close to the Fine Art setting.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ata-boy Rod, aren’t work arounds just wonderful things. :)

Thank you for sharing how you defeated the cursed forced margins problem when profiling the Colormunki.
Some would say you need to get out more and stop listening to The Hat… :gig

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I've learnt so much from you Hat by staying home & reading your posts:)

Stanley Krute

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10
Just got a Pixma Pro 10. So happy to find this thread, and see that high-quality refilling options exist for this lovely printer. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Simon Knight

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9000 mkII Epson 1500W
Hi,

I would like to check my understanding with reference to creating ICC profiles with OctoInks or similar on the Pro-10.

The problem :
1) Mono prints on matt paper look better when printed using the matt black ink, however, the Pro-10 only uses matt black ink when fine art paper is selected in the driver.

1.1) This is a problem as the fine art paper setting causes large margins to be used meaning that standard A4 size profile targets can not be printed.

Solution A

A. Use A3+ sized paper to print the targets, two per sheet. Live with the fine art boarder!

Solution B

B. Take a spare Matt Black cartridge and replace its chip with one from a spare photo black cartridge. Place this hybrid cartridge in the photo black ink slot. Select Matt Paper as the paper type (which causes the hybrid cartridge in the photo black slot to be used) and print out the ICC profile sheet.

B.1 Use the new profile with matt papers and the hybrid cartridge in all prints onto matt papers.

So have I understood?

Best wishes
Simon

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
An alternative system would be to select “plain paper” in the driver. No need for this “hybrid” cartridge and no margin restrictions either. In all likelihood, you’d need a custom profile to get the best results,
I never tried this method myself because, until now, I haven’t used real matt/fine art paper with my Pro10s but I noticed that, for plain paper setting, this printer uses black matt ink ( and no chroma optimizer, of course ).
The “hybrid cart” system is fine except that if you’re printing in different paper types alternatively (i.e. luster/glossy vs matt) you have to swap the normal photo black cart with the hybrid unit very often. Every time you do that, the printer performs an automated purge, wasting ink from all the cartridges and filling faster the waste pads. Now, if you stick to a large batch of matt or glossy paper until it’s exhausted, those cartridge swaps would be very far apart and the wasted ink minimal.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So have I understood?
@Simon Knight, perfectly, but if your worried about the waste pads filling to fast that @Arthur5 was referring too, then fill your cart with a mixture of both matte and photo blacks and that can work just as well..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I never tried this method myself because, until now, I haven’t used real matt/fine art paper with my Pro10s but I noticed that, for plain paper setting, this printer uses black matt ink ( and no chroma optimizer, of course ).
The “hybrid cart” system is fine except that if you’re printing in different paper types alternatively (i.e. luster/glossy vs matt) you have to swap the normal photo black cart with the hybrid unit very often.
Very late and didn't catch this previously, but assuming this comment was in relation to the Pro-10/10S, I think you may have confused the Pro-10 with Epson printers like the R2400 and R2880 where there is a specific requirement to switch the cartridges over when changing media. The Pro-10 and 10S have both of the Matt and Photo Black cartridges installed all the time. There is no swapping over and as a result no waste ink cost to be worried about when switching between matt and glossy media.

Thought I'd best give a gentle correct as that's bound to confuse things for any later readers.