Canon Pixma Pro 1 printhead will not move.

kevin taylor

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi guys, I have had the dreaded B200 error message on the printer. I was experiencing banding issues with the grey and black heads and no amount of cleaning sorted it. Also I attempted to carry out a head alignment check via the utility and since then the head absolutely will not move.
I have since ordered and received a new printhead, however I cant install it as the printhead will not move.
I have had the printer unplugged for a few days but as soon as I power it up I get the 10 sequence flashing light problem. Any ideas how I can overcome this???

Any sequence of buttons I can press to override? Or will I have to attempt to take the printer apart??? Any help would be brill.....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
will I have to attempt to take the printer apart??? Any help would be brill.....
Any trouble removing the cover, just PM me...

Carriage Locking  pin.jpg

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I had the print head stuck out of sight, but likely for a different reason. If I remember it was "my" mishandling of a cleaning cycle; never found out exactly why.

To get the print head out I had to disconnect the power; not ever recommended, but in this case I had to because the "power button" wouldn't do a proper shut down properly. What I had found on the Internet was that with the power off the print head can be moved freely along the slide.

So, with the power off, and the cover open, I made up a long strip of 3 or 4 layers (for strength) of masking tape. This I stuck into the out of reach area and with a small stick pressed the sticky part onto the flat part of the print head. That allowed me to pull the print head out into the open. Hope this help somewhat.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I wonder what the mentality of a typical Canon printer designer is, do they think in terms of making the mechanisms as simple as possible to achieve the objective, or do they think "let's added a few extra bits, just to test the user's ingenuity and increase the likelihood of them buying a replacement printer a bit sooner?:)

Can you imagine them as teenagers saying "I want to be a printer designer when I grow up":fl

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It’s really very simple, Canon don’t want you to get under the bonnet (Hood) on any of their Pro printers, the more a home user tinkers with the internals the bigger the headache for the Service guys, and the bill. :eek:

The Pro 1 has no relation to any of the other Pro printers like Pro 100/ Pro 10/ Pro 9500 ,its in a league of its own and none of the good suggestions and usual fixes will work on this model, the AI on this machine is extremely hard if not impossible to trick... :hu
If anything goes wrong... It’s take me to your leader, (Service Centre):bow

Carlo.nicora

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Hi @The Hat
I am having very similar issues to those highlighted, plus I cannot open the ink doors to pull out the inks. I was considering tearing the printer apart, any hint on the best way of doing it? (I tried to contact you directly via PM, but it seems I cannot do it...)

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi @The Hat
Please explain some of the issues you’re having and when you first noticed them , like how many led flashes you’re getting and is it one LED or two and how it lead up to this, also post a nozzle check so we can examine its contents..

I have no idea what’s wrong with the PM system..

arora12

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 100
Any trouble removing the cover, just PM me...

View attachment 7012
I have the same exact issue but with the Pixma Pro 100
B200 error and got a new printhead and it doesn't move
I believe we talked on another forum several months ago about this haha
Finally got a new printhead
I assume the same steps once I get the covers off?
Have disassembled several printers in the past so should be able to do it. I'm starting now haha

lunnara

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100
I have the same exact issue but with the Pixma Pro 100
B200 error and got a new printhead and it doesn't move
I believe we talked on another forum several months ago about this haha
Finally got a new printhead
I assume the same steps once I get the covers off?
Have disassembled several printers in the past so should be able to do it. I'm starting now haha
Were you able to remove the Pro 100 printerhead? I'm having the same issue as you. :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Were you able to remove the Pro 100 printerhead? I'm having the same issue as you
If you leave your printer unplugged from the wall for a day or two, then that should have some effect, next reinsert the plug and power on the printer, and when the printer starts up, watch the print head carefully, and once it moves slightly pull the power plug very, very quickly. This will allow the print head to move freely by hand..

Failing that:- here’s instructions by @ FWP for the top cover removal..

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pro-100-cabinet-removal-procedure.14918/post-129909