Canon Pixma MX922 vertical banding despite auto align, man. align...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm going to price just replacing the print head.
Beware that print heads sold as new out of China may be refurbished and packaged in counterfeit wrappers and boxes. There is a high risk for failure with them. I am going to assume you are in the USA. Any seller located in the US that sources from China I would avoid.

I don't know if Canon still manufactures your print head. A call to Canon Sales, usually the least expensive in my experience may be prudent. Otherwise, expect high pricing that may get you thinking a new printer would be better. For an All-In-One printer like the MX922, consider the Maxify line.

workingmomjd

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
It's from the Canon store on Amazon, so I feel good about the warranty (I've had an incredibly good and extensive track record with Amazon customer service (may have been influenced by my lawyer speak, but still)). The OEM from Canon would take too long to arrive.

workingmomjd

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
It was $140, which is still less than half than replacing the printer, so I'm more than happy with that. I've tried upgrading it before, but I guess it's like a favorite chair, every other one I've looked at or purchased has been lacking in some way or another. So if this fixes the problem, then it is a very good outcome for me!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You are braver than I.

Few ratings and too many negative reviews on all sold goods from this seller for my taste. An answer to a specific shipping cost question about the print head was they thought it ships from China.

On the plus side, ratings for this specific print head from the seller are good in the past year. Maybe you've hit the mother lode. :fl

I guess it's like a favorite chair, every other one I've looked at or purchased has been lacking in some way or another.
We understand completely. Welcome to the PrinterKnowledge Printer Addiction club! Goldilocks Syndrome is a cardinal symptom. :hugs

workingmomjd

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
Just in case this doesn't solve the problem, or it blows again quickly and replacing the printer itself becomes inevitable, I'd really appreciate your insight. The features I've found hard to replace in one printer are the double tray so I can have letter paper and photo paper loaded simultaneously, a good adf, dual sided printing and strong wireless compatibility (both with printing to and scanning from). I'd like to stay under $300,because over that I may as well buy another mx922:p

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The OEM from Canon would take too long to arrive.
You are able to get one direct from Canon Sales? :woot

If so, that's what I would do for peace of mind. While waiting I would use Photo Paper Settings to bypass the malfunctioning Pigment Black ink nozzles.

The Canon Store on Amazon allows sales of Canon products by third parties.

What is the warranty you expect from the Canon Store item?

workingmomjd

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
I doubt it's bravery. More likely it's sheer reckless stupidity as a result of being at the tail end of raising 3 teenagers. This risk seems like the safest decision I've made in months 😂😭

I don't know if I could get it from Canon directly, I'm basing the delivery estimate on my past experience with them. Somehow I doubt Co-vid has sped them up, kwim😏.

I'm so glad I found you guys! You're going to be a great resource :weee

workingmomjd

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX922
I doubt it's bravery. More likely it's sheer reckless stupidity as a result of being at the tail end of raising 3 teenagers. This risk seems like the safest decision I've made in months 😂😭

I don't know if I could get it from Canon directly, I'm basing the delivery estimate on my past experience with them. Somehow I doubt Co-vid has sped them up, kwim😏.

I'm so glad I found you guys! You're going to be a great resource :weee
It's a one year warranty.

Latest posts