Canon PIXMA MX850 6A00 error and crowded cover

Callistemon

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX850, Canon iP3000
Our Canon PIXMA MX850 had a B200 error. Canon has discontinued providing replacement parts, of course, because they want their products to be useless cinder blocks that don't even scan during errors. I installed a used replacement print head. It finally was able to fully turn on and copy, but after the first page, the 5010 error appeared. The 5010 error consistently appeared after the first page since turning on or being plugged in. I cleaned the wiper blades area so that it could move easier, but before it could be tested, the narrow plastic pad was dislocated and lost, and it now has a 6A00 error. It was lost into the abyss and cannot be retrieved because the cover is so crowded and does not open more than 35 degrees, and it is impossible to see what is where.

The document feeder and scanner glass covers will need to be removed to have better access. How can the scanner covers be removed, and how likely is it that a more open view would be able to retrieve the pad?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Callistemon

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
The MX850 has been disassembled and the pad has been retrieved and inserted properly. Thank you for the instructions, and sorry for the delayed reply. After assembly, the new print head was inserted, but the nozzle check is of unacceptable quality. Pigment black was partially burned away, and the faster portions of the colors were streaky. Photo black is alternating misaligned blocks. Alignment doesn't work because it is too fuzzy to recognize anything. Print head was rinsed before inserted, and after the first nozzle check, deep cleaned multiple times (over multiple days). The print head had to be stored for a while taped over, but that shouldn't result in the warping.

Pigment black only continues to decline.
High-quality cyan improves, and then becomes worse again.
Some draft-quality letters turned from orange to gray.
Photo black became more choppy in the end.
Faster colors appear to be warped by overheating.

Then, the 5010 ERROR returned again. What could be wrong with that? This MX850 is not ready to be replaced.

Attachments

• DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0390.jpg
    DSC_0390.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0391.jpg
    DSC_0391.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 183

Callistemon

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Bought it about 3 1/2 months ago, a long time ago. Listing says refunds available for DOAs, but now is not exactly arrival. Also supposed to be thoroughly tested.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Welcome to the UGATLOUP club ( unlucky gamblers at the lottery of used printheads ).
Many people of this forum belonged once to this club, myself included. Needless to say that I cancelled my membership long ago, as you should do...

Your issue is just a faulty printhead, which happens to be the case of 95% of those ‘thoroughly tested’ used units coming from China.
I don’t know if you’re eligible for a refund after several months, but it’s worth trying to contact the seller; it costs nothing.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I installed a used replacement print head. It finally was able to fully turn on and copy, but after the first page, the 5010 error appeared
Welcome to the UGATLOUP club...Many people of this forum belonged once to this club, myself included. Needless to say that I cancelled my membership long ago, as you should do...
Couldn’t have been said better…But will we ever learn.. :hugs :eek:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maybe overdone with the deep cleanings. If one or two don't help then more probably won't and may overheat the print head. :idunno

No nozzle warping appreciated.

Ink starvation present in PGBK, C and BK.

Potential burned out nozzles and/or clogs in PGBK - some lattice lines appear and dissapear. The larger areas of loss are ink starvation.

Probable print head electronic failure present as the lighter color swaths do not change much if at all over time. This might be overcome, at least somewhat, by printing in High Quality.

If you want, the first thing to try is either a new cartridge or a well flushed and then refilled cartridge. I lean toward a new cartridge as it takes the guess work out on a poorly performing used cartridge. Regarless, rule out cartridge failure first.

The second thing to try good flushings and soakings of the print head to see if that helps. This can take days.

The third thing is a new print head.

The fourth thing is to get a Canon Maxify.

Callistemon

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Welcome to the UGATLOUP club ( unlucky gamblers at the lottery of used printheads ).
Many people of this forum belonged once to this club, myself included. Needless to say that I cancelled my membership long ago, as you should do...

Your issue is just a faulty printhead, which happens to be the case of 95% of those ‘thoroughly tested’ used units coming from China.
I don’t know if you’re eligible for a refund after several months, but it’s worth trying to contact the seller; it costs nothing.
It wasn't from China. It shipped from Illinois. https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Ge...xma-iP5300-MP810-iP4500-MP610-MX850/900177739

Maybe overdone with the deep cleanings. If one or two don't help then more probably won't and may overheat the print head. :idunno

No nozzle warping appreciated.

Ink starvation present in PGBK, C and BK.

Potential burned out nozzles and/or clogs in PGBK - some lattice lines appear and dissapear. The larger areas of loss are ink starvation.

Probable print head electronic failure present as the lighter color swaths do not change much if at all over time. This might be overcome, at least somewhat, by printing in High Quality.

If you want, the first thing to try is either a new cartridge or a well flushed and then refilled cartridge. I lean toward a new cartridge as it takes the guess work out on a poorly performing used cartridge. Regarless, rule out cartridge failure first.

The second thing to try good flushings and soakings of the print head to see if that helps. This can take days.

The third thing is a new print head.
Cartridges cost $100. Given that there is also the recurring 5010 error, even if there is another replacement print head available, the cartridges may still be useless. Is there anyone else that may want cartridges for an MX850?
The fourth thing is to get a Canon Maxify.
The MX850 is similarly robust and would suffice without the errors.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@Callistemon, this vendor from Illinois that you linked is not a dealer selling brand new printheads coming directly from Canon. They get used printheads, from China in all likelihood, and resell them with a profit. You could have purchased a similar unit directly from Aliexpress at a lower cost.

The problem is not that the printheads are fake, they’re genuine Canon, but have been used intensively. I bet that they don’t test them at all. Those printheads are removed from discarded printers, cleaned a bit and ready to ship. Some may be fine but most won’t.

Last edited: