Canon Pixma MP830 - can't reset to print with compatible cartridge

vbx123

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wish I found this forum before I bought a bunch of G&G cartridges or my printer for that matter. Never could have imagined that ink replacement could cause so much headache.

Anyway, a couple of cartridges ran out of ink. I put the G&G compatible CLI-8 cartridge in and as per instructions installed the chip from original Canon cartridge. Now, they say you have to reset the printer to let you print. Everything I tried hasn't worked. Holding 'reset' button for 5 seconds didn't work. When I try to print something I get a msg saying that ink has run out with 2 button on the bottom "ok" or "cancel printing". In all the instructions that I've seen it looks like after pressing ok I should be presented with a new window informing me that Canon is not liable for mulfunctions as result of printing with refilled ink....., but when I click on "ok" it just gives me same msg again and again.

Please help.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I believe one of the steps is to press a button (reset or resume) on the printer and click OK or Yes on the screen. This is not to press the button for 5 seconds. It is just press the button once. This is much like your printer detects an empty paper tray. After refilling your paper tray you still need to press a button in order to print.

I think what happens is you send a print job to the printer. The printer reads the chips and finds that one of the cartridges is empty. It then displays the message to tell you that an ink cartridge is empty. You have a choice of clicking Yes or Cancel. But in the message it also tells you to press the reset or resume button. You need to press the button first then click the Yes button on the screen. When this event happens you are not far from the message that will guide you to press that button for 5 seconds.

If you do not press the button on the printer but to click the yes button on the screen the message will repeat and you will be stuck in there.

vbx123

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Tin Ho, thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. I pressed 'stop/reset' button button just once and then 'yes' on the screen and the msg still comes up again. I also tried to power cycle before attempting to reset and I still get same result.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
At a guess you have one of the following conditions:

- one of more of the cartridge chips has failed and/or is badly mounted
- the G&G cartridges may have poor quality prisms which are not allowing the printer to read that ink is present.
- one of the cartridges may be completely out of ink

In all honesty I do not use compatibles purely because the OEM's are perfect as they are... a little purging is sometimes necessary to clear any cloggation but otherwise they are good to go... compatibles unfortunately tend to require chip transfer which seems to result in a lot of duff/damaged chips or bad mounts which means they can't be read.

Hopefully the ideas above will give you some possibles to check out.