Canon Pixma MP620 PG nozzles

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The service manual for the MP620 is found here. But as the download site is ad sponsored please read this instruction before attempting to download the manual.
Thank you I did find the site and have downloaded the PDF file. I duly dismantled the Printer. made 1 mistake took screws out of both covers, which meant I had the whole scanner unit floating free, putting pressure on the wiring. I took the front cover (over the printhead) to access the timing strip. Looked everywhere for a small spring and then realised there is only a spring at the left side and the timing strip hooks over a small lug on the side plate.

Reassembled switched on and got a screeching sound and error 6012. timing strip or scanner motor. There was still some ink on the timing strip and using 2 hands this time left to maintain tension tried again. switched on got the same error no. Took R/H side off, and pushed all previous connections hard. Tried again with side still off and presto it worked.However a nozzle check showed were back to the old one and a head clean made things a lot worse.

I missed the chance to flood the cleaning pads, and once assembled they are difficult to see. I am very reluctant to put the New head in in case something else is causing the problem. I noted an old post from The Pharmacist with a bad block. he folded a strip of paper soaked with usual ingredients PLUS a number of drops of pure Ammonia. Left it 1 hour clog gone. You cannot get full strength Ammonia here E-Bay have about 25/30% but usually in too large quantities. I noted your remarks about the Photo black and will do something if I can sort this PG problem out. Up to 3/4 weeks ago it was prefect. It was the usual culprit Magenta which is now OK. Further to above gone through another 24 hours of soaking, tried window cleaner/fairy liquid but after the initial wash under the tap little came black came out. Dried and re-installed this afternoon. First nozzle check NO PG at all. From control panel 2 deep cleans PG only. Result nozzle check very poor tried 1 more clean no improvement.

I am in a bind Do I risk the New Head? also need some new ink do I waste even more money.
I have gone back and looked at Turboguy post more closely. I have tried flooding pads with a syringe and clean water and it ran away from both pads did NOT stay on top. Tried nudging gaskets but access is difficult. some improvement it slowed the soak time and colour pad lasted a lot longer but it did drain away. From Turboguys comments it looks like an big strip down. and maybe beyond me but would appreciate and advice

Last edited:

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Head been soaking all night a few black marks on the paper towel but nothing significant. Again the tube over the PG nozzle does not drain, yet all the others including the Photo Black flow freely through in a few seconds. This is not my method, been showed on the Forum by several contributors previously. I would have though the larger nozzles? on PG would flow faster. Is applying compressed air advisable?
Thank you I did find the site and have downloaded the PDF file. I duly dismantled the Printer. made 1 mistake took screws out of both covers, which meant I had the whole scanner unit floating free, putting pressure on the wiring. I took the front cover (over the printhead) to access the timing strip. Looked everywhere for a small spring and then realised there is only a spring at the left side and the timing strip hooks over a small lug on the side plate.

Reassembled switched on and got a screeching sound and error 6012. timing strip or scanner motor. There was still some ink on the timing strip and using 2 hands this time left to maintain tension tried again. switched on got the same error no. Took R/H side off, and pushed all previous connections hard. Tried again with side still off and presto it worked.However a nozzle check showed were back to the old one and a head clean made things a lot worse.

I missed the chance to flood the cleaning pads, and once assembled they are difficult to see. I am very reluctant to put the New head in in case something else is causing the problem. I noted an old post from The Pharmacist with a bad block. he folded a strip of paper soaked with usual ingredients PLUS a number of drops of pure Ammonia. Left it 1 hour clog gone. You cannot get full strength Ammonia here E-Bay have about 25/30% but usually in too large quantities. I noted your remarks about the Photo black and will do something if I can sort this PG problem out. Up to 3/4 weeks ago it was prefect. It was the usual culprit Magenta which is now OK.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Use only Patience and not pressure, that’s my recommendation...
P.S. have a good look at your purge unit while you have the chance..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The purge unit is very important in keeping the print head in a good working condition. Even the new print head will not work properly if the purge unit is not 100% OK. You cannot determine the condition of the print head unless the purge unit is 100% functional, meaning it must pass the three test points, the leak and pump tests and the gasket inspection, as described by turbguy.

I recommend that you do not install the new print head before the purge unit is repaired and passes the tests. I also think it is important to replace the photo black cartridge(s) and the photo black refill ink, which I suspect are infected with fungus, else you risk ruining the new print head. If you have a suspicion that other cartridges and inks could also be infected, they should be replaced as well.

Cleaning the print head outside the printer has a risk of causing an electronic failure, most likely caused by moisture left where it does not belong. A damaged print head might damage the logic board, and a damaged logic board might damage the new print head.

So I suggest to stop cleaning the print head at least temporarily and in stead repair the purge unit. When the purge unit is confirmed OK you can install the old print head. If the now repaired purge unit does not improve the old print head, I think it is time for installing the new print head.

Last edited:

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
The purge unit is very important in keeping the print head in a good working condition. Even the new print head will not work properly if the purge unit is not 100% OK. You cannot determine the condition of the print head unless the purge unit is 100% functional, meaning it must pass the three test points, the leak and pump tests and the gasket inspection, as described by turbguy.

I recommend that you do not install the new print head before the purge unit is repaired and passes the tests. I also think it is important to replace the photo black cartridge(s) and the photo black refill ink, which I suspect are infected with fungus, else you risk ruining the new print head. If you have a suspicion that other cartridges and inks could also be infected, they should be replaced as well.

Cleaning the print head outside the printer has a risk of causing an electronic failure, most likely caused by moisture left where it does not belong. A damaged print head might damage the logic board, and a damaged logic board might damage the new print head.

So I suggest to stop cleaning the print head at least temporarily and in stead repair the purge unit. When the purge unit is confirmed OK you can install the old print head. If the now repaired purge unit does not improve the old print head, I think it is time for installing the new print head.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for your support and comments regarding the purge unit and PB cart/ink. I have looked as best I can at the purge unit flooded it with water. It does not pool but drains away. I tried checking the gaskets pads are clean and this time fluid still drained away but more slowly. Frankly to dismantle the Purge unit is more than I think I can handle. The Head we have been discussing was in very poor condition when I bought the printer from a lady on E-bay. First nozzle check revealed practically nothing. She had been using Tesco inks and I implored her not to do so in her new Canon Printer. I did the usual Window cleaner soak and came back pretty good. But there is a possibility that the Print Head was already damaged.

Anyway I have gone for broke, and put new head in and the nozzle print is OK apart from the PB black which I am sorting out another cart/ink for.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have looked as best I can at the purge unit flooded it with water. It does not pool but drains away.
If the Pigment Black purge pad does not pool with liquid then there is a leak in the purge system. It could be the hose that carries ink to the ink waste diaper (via the peristaltic pump) has cracked or is displaced from a connection. You would need to dissemble the printer to find out.

Dissembling, and reassembling, the printer will take some time, several hours for first time. It is suggested you take photos of each and every step along the way, no matter how minor it may seem, to aid in reassembly. You may even wash out the waste diaper pads while the printer is apart. The good news is that a tubing issue can probably be fixed relatively easily and the printer returned to full functionality.

Use of the new print head while the purge system is malfunctioning may permanently damage the new print head. Unless you do not care about the use of Pigment Black, fix the printer or return or sell the new print head to recoup some money.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
If the Pigment Black purge pad does not pool with liquid then there is a leak in the purge system. It could be the hose that carries ink to the ink waste diaper (via the peristaltic pump) has cracked or is displaced from a connection. You would need to dissemble the printer to find out.

Dissembling, and reassembling, the printer will take some time, several hours for first time. It is suggested you take photos of each and every step along the way, no matter how minor it may seem, to aid in reassembly. You may even wash out the waste diaper pads while the printer is apart. The good news is that a tubing issue can probably be fixed relatively easily and the printer returned to full functionality.

Use of the new print head while the purge system is malfunctioning may permanently damage the new print head. Unless you do not care about the use of Pigment Black, fix the printer or return or sell the new print head to recoup some money.