Canon Pixma MP620 PG nozzles

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Not been in touch for some time as printer has been fine. However about 4 weeks ago the usual Magenta problem came back. Tried a couple of cleans to no avail so pulled head washed it out and did the usual gentle W5 window cleaner technique. Dried re-installed Magenta fine again but noticed that The PG output had quite a few breaks in it. Printing definitely gone downhill so repeated the cleaning. But no improvement does this indicate blockages are burnt out nozzles? I have got around the problem temporarily by changing paper to other photo paper. This means of course a much slower print time but at least it works. I know New heads are no longer available for this Machine. Any suggestions welcome

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you please upload a nozzle check?

The print head is QY6-0073, and it is still available from CRC Tasktron UK, it is even on sale, so maybe you should hurry up and get one while they last.

If you don't have the service manual already, then the electrotanya link in this post is still active. Please read this instruction before attempting dowloads from electrotanya.

Last edited:

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
IMG.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Your image could do with a crop so we could examine it better. As it appears, Yellow, Black and Pigment Black look bad.

If you are sure these cartridges are functioning properly, then try soaking the print head in dish washing liquid soap like Fairy or Dawn mixed with water. Scrunch up a kitchen paper towel on the bottom of the bowl of the solution and every now and then raise and lower the print head onto the paper towel to gently force solution through the print head. Let soak for 24 hours or more as desired. Flush the print head before and after soaking with water. Let dry thoroughly before putting back into printer.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree with stratman. There is no need to use a lot of kilobytes to show the unprinted part of the nozzle test sheet. Instead I suggest to use the scanner settings shown in this post. This will hopefully give a better picture of the health of your print head. If you are familiar with service mode operations, the test print from service mode with its extended nozzle check is a good supplement to the regular nozzle check from the printer driver's maintenance tab.

Maybe all is not lost. Your uploaded nozzle check maybe shows only severe clogging and no electronic defects. You might be lucky and have success with cleaning the print head. In stead of pharmacist's cleaning solution you can also use a window cleaner with ammonia.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I agree with stratman. There is no need to use a lot of kilobytes to show the unprinted part of the nozzle test sheet. Instead I suggest to use the scanner settings shown in this post. This will hopefully give a better picture of the health of your print head. If you are familiar with service mode operations, the test print from service mode with its extended nozzle check is a good supplement to the regular nozzle check from the printer driver's maintenance tab.

Maybe all is not lost. Your uploaded nozzle check maybe shows only severe clogging and no electronic defects. You might be lucky and have success with cleaning the print head. In stead of pharmacist's cleaning solution you can also use a window cleaner with ammonia.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thank you PeterBJ and all others for their helpful suggestions. I had tried the paper towel and window cleaner method but made no difference. Not sure I know how to get into service mode will leave that for later. The PG problem only started after I had cleared the Magenta clog with the above method. The black streaking goes back a long time which I believe you told me was electrical damage from the E-prom?. I can currently print a good Black doc. by selecting Matt Photo but of course it is slow, but I assume that this also points to clog rather than burnt nozzles. I am sure I will be back if I get stuck but thanks again for the Printer Community coming to the aid of a Member. I still like refilling, my family think I am mad and they all buy originals and will not let me anywhere near their printers.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Your image could do with a crop so we could examine it better. As it appears, Yellow, Black and Pigment Black look bad.

If you are sure these cartridges are functioning properly, then try soaking the print head in dish washing liquid soap like Fairy or Dawn mixed with water. Scrunch up a kitchen paper towel on the bottom of the bowl of the solution and every now and then raise and lower the print head onto the paper towel to gently force solution through the print head. Let soak for 24 hours or more as desired. Flush the print head before and after soaking with water. Let dry thoroughly before putting back into printer.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Not a good scan but yellow/magenta/cyan are fine black I have been previously told is electrical and has been like that for a long time. The real problem is the number of segments missing from the PG scan. Normally is perfect. Have noted comments and with my limited computer knowledge will attempt to sort out the problem. Thanks again