Canon Pixma MP500

iandee

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thanks for that.
I have used a non-toxic glass cleaner.

After a bit of a struggle I got access to the 2 pads. Tapping them they did not feel spongey, so hope that I got the right ones.
I gave them a good soaking and noticed after a deep clean that the liquid that was in the small tray thing on which the pads rest was not there afterwards.

So if thats done right, what next?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You got the right pads, they are not soft but a hard plastic or ceramic or some other composite material.

Is your problem that you have gotten all the dye ink nozzles to work but nothing for the pigment black?

If so, you should try putting some window cleaner on the closer pad and doing a cleaning of just the pigment black and then a nozzle check to see if you can get at least some of the nozzles working. You can also deposit a few drops of window cleaner on the inlet port for the pigment black (you will have to remove the pigment black cartridge to do this).

iandee

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Is your problem that you have gotten all the dye ink nozzles to work but nothing for the pigment black?
the 2 black and & Magenta
If so, you should try putting some window cleaner on the closer pad where is that? and doing a cleaning of just the pigment black how? and then a nozzle check to see if you can get at least some of the nozzles working. You can also deposit a few drops of window cleaner on the inlet port how/where ? for the pigment black (you will have to remove the pigment black cartridge to do this).
sorry for these basic questions:(

AMP

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp500
Thank you for these tips! It worked for my printer (Canon MP500) like a charm, which was printing zero black ink in documents and the colors were all off. First, I took out the printer head. (After removing the ink cartridges, remove the device that holds in the printer cartridges). Then put it under warm running water for 2 minutes (running the water through the same place the ink sets into) to flush out all the built up ink. Then I let it air try on a cloth towel for 24 hours. When I reinstalled it, the colors were more accurate and working much better. However, I still had no black ink printing when printing documents, though I could see that when I did a test print with the nozzle check, there was some black there so I knew it was possible. So then I tried the trick of putting glass cleaner on the print pads as described above. I took q-tips and dipped each into a spoon full of glass cleaner until it was very saturated. Then I dabbed a q-tip (using a flash light to see) into the printer, to the right of where the ink cartridges return to when after they are in the middle of the printer when you open the cover. The pads are rectangle in shape, maybe half and inch by 2 inches. They look a little like ink pads you would use with a stamp. I put the q-tip to the two pads so that the glass cleaner would transfer. I had to do this several times for each pad until there was a good amount of glass cleaner on each, then this was followed by the nozzle check and cleaning / deep cleaning via the printer menu. Each time I did this sequence with more glass cleaner followed by nozzle check and deep cleaning I could see more and more of the black design on the nozzle check print pattern. I probably did this 5 times in total before the whole black grid pattern would print fully. Then when I printed a document it was all working beautifully! These two simple things saved me hundreds in new printer costs and delayed putting my printer in a landfill for hopefully years to come. : )