Canon Pixma MP460 vs. IP4300?

wongnog

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well the MP830 is definitely out of my price range (I'm looking more around CAN $150). What are the pros/cons between Epson Durabrite ink vs. Canon CLI8 carts? If I'll be doing more plain paper printing (i.e. CD labels) and direct CD/DVD printing, would one kind of ink be better than the other?

By the way, I can get the IP4300 for $129 at Best Buy but I just saw a sale for the IP6600 for $99! From what I've read though, the 6600 is geared much more to the photo enthusiast and isn't that good a printer for everyday use. Do you guys agree?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Canon uses pigment black for text and is a different type of pigment as used in their pigment line as per Durabrite, UltraChrome etc. The Epson pigment is more waterproof compared to the Canon whic will bleed like crazy if it gets wet.

If you do direct CD/DVD printing, this is a key consideration. The CLI-8 is all dye based so don't let the Chromalife stats make you think differently.

Pigment ink printers can have serious head clogs much more easily as it is the nature of the pigment ink beast so if you don't do a lot of printing or at least once a week steer clear of the pigment. If you plan to do a lot then it's not an issue.
Cost wise, pigment is more expensive to refill but it is not a huge issue if you ever had bleed from a DVD before.

I pointed out the 6600 and if you have to print a lot of text as well, then it is not a good printer for you.

If waterproof DVD printing is not big on your list, then I'd go for the iP4300.