Canon Pixma MP460 vs. IP4300?

wongnog

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I can't decide which one of these two I want for christmas. Initially I was drawn to the multifunction idea, I could definately use a scanner. But I don't do much (if any) photo printing, as I already have an excellent dedicated photo printer (Epson Picturemate Express). My main application would be to print DVD labels, so I just want a good colour printer. But then I heard the IP4300 can print directly on CDs, which is making me lean toward that model... I've also heard about Epson using pigment based dyes which are better on plain paper, which would be useful if I print on CD labels. Not sure if that point is moot with the IP4300 since it can print directly on printable CDs.

Anyway can you guys tell me the pros and cons of these two? Is there a difference between ink consumable costs? I heard OEM carts don't exist for the 4300. What about the MP460? Is the IP line generally better than the MP? I'd love to hear whatever you guys have to say. Thanks!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If you want to compare a straight iP4200 and the MP500 (which are similar to your choices) I'd have to say go with the MP500 because for the extra money you get the ability to do colour + b&w photocopying (quickly), a decent scanner, and of course all the usual features of an iP4200 (booklet printing, auto-duplex, etc..)..

I'm not convinced that the new MP460 is a good choice against the iP4300 though as you get the 3 colours in a single tank which means wastage (unless you refill) and the printhead is on the carts too.. Not a good economy... If you are going to stick with your price range, go with the iP4300 but if you can stretch to it, get a slightly older MP500.. (not an MP510 - they're a step down!)..

I can't comment on the whole CD printing side of things though and you may find that you'll get smudging with dyebased printing on CD's as they get handled more and more. Hard to say without testing... Personally I'd take a few printable CDs and a test print with you to somewhere like PCWorld and ask them to give you a demo of each model... They may refuse but if someone is canny they may decide to waste the ink.. Can't hurt to try.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The iP4300 does not come with CD printing capability. You have to buy or build a CD carrier and enable the printer for CDs. However, it uses the new chipped cartridges which means higher cost and frustration when it comes to ink.

If I were you, I'd get last year's all-in-one MP780, which are being sold refurbished on eBay for a little over $200 with shipping. They use the unchipped cartridges which are easy to refill and have many compatible cartridges available. After you have purchased a few cartridges, the price of the printer will seem inconsequential. You can add CD printing capability to this printer just like the iP4300.

I cannot tell any difference in the printout between the iP and MP series printers.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
The iP4300 does not come with CD printing capability.
That's true if you're in the USA... everywhere else DOES come with CD printing.

However, it uses the new chipped cartridges which means higher cost and frustration when it comes to ink.
Although you can get refill kits now and they work quite well if you take the time to learn and accept the odd learning curve mistake.

If I were you, I'd get last year's all-in-one MP780, which are being sold refurbished on eBay for a little over $200 with shipping. They use the unchipped cartridges which are easy to refill and have many compatible cartridges available. After you have purchased a few cartridges, the price of the printer will seem inconsequential.
I didn't realise you could still get MP780's but if you can then my vote would be with that model too... Really, well worth the money.

wongnog

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
websnail said:
If you want to compare a straight iP4200 and the MP500 (which are similar to your choices) I'd have to say go with the MP500 because for the extra money you get the ability to do colour + b&w photocopying (quickly), a decent scanner, and of course all the usual features of an iP4200 (booklet printing, auto-duplex, etc..)..

I'm not convinced that the new MP460 is a good choice against the iP4300 though as you get the 3 colours in a single tank which means wastage (unless you refill) and the printhead is on the carts too.. Not a good economy... If you are going to stick with your price range, go with the iP4300 but if you can stretch to it, get a slightly older MP500.. (not an MP510 - they're a step down!)..
Interesting, how much of a step down is the MP510? I can't get the MP500 in any retail stores in Canada, but the MP510 goes for around $180. That's about $50 more than the IP4300 which is $130 (last year's IP4200 it's a steal at $90). Can the MP510 print labels directly on printable CDs?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you are going to buy a new Canon, at least get one that has the larger print head with 3584 nozzles which is almost twice what the earlier models have. The iP4300 has 3584 nozzles while the older iP4200 has 1856. The MP510 has only 1600 nozzles and probably can be made to print on CDs like most of the other Canons but it only has 4 cartridges. It has a pigment black which works only on plain paper. If you print black on a CD with this printer, I'm not sure if it will use the three colors to mimick black. Personally, I think you're better off with a 5-cartridge printer that has both a pigment and a dye black.

Why have you given up on the iP4300?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
wongnog said:
Interesting, how much of a step down is the MP510?
I honestly couldn't say but when I started looking at the new models I initially thought the 510 was a step up when in fact it seems the 600 is the step up and the 510 is a step down and sideways.

MP 510
* Resolution: Max. 4800*x1200dpi
* Mono Print Speed: Up to 25ppm (Max.)
* Colour Print Speed: Text & Graphics: Up to 17 ppm (Max.)

MP 500
* Resolution: Up to 9600 x 2400 dpi
* Mono Print Speed: Up to 29ppm (Max.)
* Colour Print Speed: Text & Graphics: Up to 19 ppm (Max.)

That's not an improvement..

I can't get the MP500 in any retail stores in Canada, but the MP510 goes for around $180. That's about $50 more than the IP4300 which is $130 (last year's IP4200 it's a steal at $90). Can the MP510 print labels directly on printable CDs?
No idea re: labels or CD's in Canada either but check the relevant canon site for your area...

If you're really hooked on an IP4300 though and money is slightly lacking I'd go grab a IP4200 instead.. the output is excellent and in all honestly I've found them good printers if you get around the whole OEM thing and start refilling..

wongnog

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
no no, I haven't given up on the IP4300 at all, it's just I was still wondering if I can get a decent multi-function that wasn't such a step down from the IP4300 -- but I don't think one exists. My only experience with refilling inks is with my current basic HP deskjet 3550, which has a tricolor ink cartridge. I found it to be a major pain to refill, inks would bleed into the other color tanks when refilling, and I don't think I was aware that letting the carts go dry will prevent your ability to refill. In my past experience, after I refilled my output would always be smudgy and blotty, never as good as new But seeing as how the CI8 carts have a nice red light to tell you when ink is low, and it has a see-through tank, I might be more vigilant at refilling. I've heard it's a relatively easy procedure as well. What do you guys think? By the way, are there any Epson or HP models that are similar to the ip4300 that I should also be considering? Thanks.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, one exists, the all-in-one MP830 ($299) uses the same print head as the iP4300 ($99).

The cartridges in these printers do have a red light to signify when they are empty, but it only works on the original ink. After you refill, which is very easy to do, the red light no longer works and eventually you have to accept a void warranty.

As far as similar printers in the Epson and HP lines go, many of the Epsons use pigment "Durabrite" ink and all of the HPs have the head built into the cartridge, so it might be very difficult to find a match.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
ghwellsjr said:
Yes, one exists, the all-in-one MP830 ($299) uses the same print head as the iP4300 ($99).
However, unless you particularly want a photo standard printer, the iP4200, MP500 or MP600 will do just fine.. Just to qualify that statement I have:
- iP4000
- iP4200
- MP500
- MP830
.. and even an iX4000 (A3)

The quality between them is all pretty good..

Ironically the MP830 actually handles photocopies slower than the MP500 due to the need to warm up.. I'd still recommend the MP500 or MP600.. :)

Oh and the MP160, etc.. all have tri-colour cartridges, it's only when you get to the MP500 and up that you get individual ink tanks.

As far as similar printers in the Epson and HP lines go, many of the Epsons use pigment "Durabrite" ink and all of the HPs have the head built into the cartridge, so it might be very difficult to find a match.
Actually not all the HP's are like this... the HP 1100's, K550, and a number of others have a pre-built CIS design which have seperate printheads and static cartridges.. Personally I wouldn't recommend the HP's though because of paper feed problems.. The two I bought are going as bargain basement units to schools soon because of this.