Canon Pixma mg7550 (error 1700) Ink absorber narly full...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Hugorm, It’s the other way around, if you can’t enter Service Mode, then there’s no point in changing the ink absorber pads, because the printer will stop working anyway, and you must send the printer to a Canon Service centre..

Hugorm

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma IP7250, TS9150
@Hugorm, It’s the other way around, if you can’t enter Service Mode, then there’s no point in changing the ink absorber pads, because the printer will stop working anyway, and you must send the printer to a Canon Service centre..
What came first the hen or the eg - I don't know, but I know if I send the printer by mail or parcelservice with waste ink in the absorber I'll have a printer full of ink evrywhere.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The MG7550 is somewhat similar to a iP7250 but with a scanner on top. I think that after having figured out how to remove the scanner, the absorber change article for iP7250 from druckerchannel.de will be useful. And here is a Google translation to English. Sadly there are no service manuals available for these printers but some hints might be found in the service manuals for the somewhat similar MP640 and MG5220 printers. Before downloading the MG5220 service manual see this instruction.

I have an MG5550 and 2 MG5450S that are of the PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation like your printer. I have accidentally locked service mode on the MG5550 by using a too old service tool, the v3400. I have successfully resat the absorber counter on one of the MG5450S by using the service tool v4720.

As your printer is of the same cartridge generation, I think you can also use the same v4720 service tool for the reset. See this post and the links in it.

I have also partially disassembled an MG5450S to take some photos, showing how to get access to clean the timing strip and to remove the ink absorbers, I managed to reassemble the printer and get it working again, but the photo part of the project was not very successful. The problem is the shiny black plastic housing that is very reflective.

Here is one of the photos showing the absorber box in the MG5450S. Like the iP7250 the MG5450S also has both an absorber box and some absorber pads at the bottom of the housing.

DSCN0658.JPG