Canon Pixma MG5750 cleaning cycle

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the video. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. This also applies to videos, especially when discussing printer problems. I don't have a Canon MG5750 but I have a couple of similar printers. I'll do a test and see if they behave in the same way. I don't know yet but I think the MG5750 does too much cleaning.

Phil_Print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5750
Good video. Not sure why this is happening.

If the printer is still under warranty then call Canon Tech Support to see what they say.

Nice fast download from Mediafire. Was it difficult to sign up or upload your file?
Thanks. Not difficult at all - didn't even have to sign up
I could try phoning Canon but stupidly I've already started using non-Canon inks before resolving the problem (even though I'm not sure if it's a problem or supposed to be doing this) so I've probably invalidated my warranty I think?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
using non-Canon inks
Canon can tell if you disabled ink level monitoring. Also, if you've had a window pop up saying something about using non-OEM cartridges then they will know as well. This situation may occur, for instance, if you try to use Canon's "My Image Garden" with aftermarket cartridges. As far as I know, the only other way Canon would know you've used aftermarket inks if if you left them in the printer when returning the printer to them.

I don't know the laws in your country regarding Canon's right to deny you warranty service, but you could always insert OEM cartridges into the print head before return to Canon. However, this might be cost prohibitive unless you use them first.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I tried to make a video of an MG6853 printing a 10 page MS Word test document from druckerchannel.de using a webcam and the Win 10 Camera app. I had problems with the quality of the video and missing sound. Instead I used a small point and shoot camera. It produced a .mov file of 68 MB for less than 2 min. of video, so I also used Mediafire, as suggested by stratman. I didn't need to sign up with them. The link is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/goxyjzx69rf9cw9/DSCN0907.MOV/file

Notice no cleaning during the print job, but the colour graphic seems to be hard to do and so the printer slowed down to make it and paused afterwards maybe to let the print head cool down(?).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@PeterBJ

Mediafire seems to work nicely. Fast download compared to other free sites. Wish they had a counter so we could see how many times the page was viewed or the file download.

The OP said that if he waited longer than a minute between print jobs then his printer would go through a maintenance cycle of some king. Your video ended less than 1 minute after finishing your print job. If you left the printer alone for the full 1 minute or so, does your printer do a maintenance cycle, too?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I printed the 10 page test document 3 times before I had an acceptable video, due to experiments with different cameras and apps. When I turned the printer on after it had not been used for several days nor connected to the mains it did a cleaning. But no cleaning was done after or between the print jobs.

I think this is normal behaviour. The cleaning is determined by both timers and counters, so after a number of printed pages >30 it will clean the print head. A timer can also trigger a cleaning. Others think otherwise, but I think that leaving your default printer constantly connected to the mains but only turned on when needed will keep the amount of cleaning down and so extend the life of the ink absorbers. The printer is in a standby mode when connected to the mains but turned off. I think a timer is active when the printer is connected to the mains. Disconnecting the printer from the mains disables this timer and the printer will do a cleaning next time it is connected to the mains and turned on.

It is difficult to find info about what triggers cleaning and how much ink is used but the service manual for iP4200 has a part 2 technical reference. Page 2-2 and 2-3 in this reference has a table showing cleaning modes and amounts of ink used.

Phil_Print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5750
@PeterBJ

Mediafire seems to work nicely. Fast download compared to other free sites. Wish they had a counter so we could see how many times the page was viewed or the file download.

The OP said that if he waited longer than a minute between print jobs then his printer would go through a maintenance cycle of some king. Your video ended less than 1 minute after finishing your print job. If you left the printer alone for the full 1 minute or so, does your printer do a maintenance cycle, too?
I was going to ask exactly the same question...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Now things are getting strange. I have just printed a small one page document and using a stop watch I noticed that 59 seconds after the document had finished printing a cleaning was initiated. I have done this 3 times so the behaviour of the MG5750 might be perfectly normal for this generation of printers. I have never noticed this before but my default printer is an iP4300 of the much older PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridge generation.

I don't understand why a one page document triggers a cleaning 59 seconds after the print has finished, but a 10 page document doesn't. I don't know if colours or B/W only makes any difference.

Here is the one page test document, zipped so a Word document can be uploaded.

Attachments

• Printer maintenance page.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 254

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I printed the same one page test print a couple of times on my default printer an iP4300. It also cleans a minute after having finished printing the test page. Printing a nozzle check also triggers the cleaning after a minute. I have never noticed this before because the iP43oo is a very quiet printer which the MG6853 and similar models are not.

So @Phil_Print I guess your printer's behaviour might be perfectly normal but maybe a bit annoying.

It is getting late here in Denmark now, but tomorrow I will do more testing.

Latest posts