Canon Pixma MG5750 cleaning cycle

Phil_Print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5750
Hi - I'm new so hope I'm doing the right thing...
Ive got a Pixma and use it to print personalised messages onto greetings cards. It's fine but after every print, if I'm not really quick to get the next one lined up it goes into its very noisy cleaning cycle (I'm assuming it's cleaning?). Does anyone know of any way to delay this process a minute or two? Otherwise it must be using up ink unnecessarily.
Thank you in anticipation of any response.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Phil.

after every print, if I'm not really quick to get the next one lined up it goes into its very noisy cleaning cycle
It may or may not be purging ink. It could just be the wiper is working.

You say it occurs after every print. So, if you were to print 5 different cards, then the printer would pause and perform some function 5 times?

Type, size and weight of paper used? Printer Settings if other than default?

Does this occur even when using a different paper or other different setting?

Do you use OEM Canon cartridges, aftermarket cartridges, refill using ARC/OEM or some other chip, or have you turned off ink level monitoring for any or all cartridges?

Any other issues with the printer?

Phil_Print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5750
Yes, five cards five times. 300GSM card, but does it with normal A4 100GSM or envelopes.
I have just changed the original Canon cartridges to aftermarket ones but there's no difference there - it was happening since I bought it. No other issues, thanks.
If I'm quick I can print without it happening - but only if it's less than 1 minute between prints...

Phil_Print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5750
I'm using various media and various settings - many different, same issue. Is it that it is supposed to be like this does anyone think? Has anyone else got this model?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Is it that it is supposed to be like this does anyone think? Has anyone else got this model?
It sounds like to me you've got a lemon on your hands, because the only time a printer would do that is when the ink monitoring has been disabled..

Phil_Print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5750
Yes maybe, but it doesn't do anything else 'wrong'. The monitoring seems fine, print quality ok. I just wish that I could stop it from going through this cycle so quickly, I mean, how often do they need to be cleaned?

Phil_Print

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5750
I wonder if there's a way to 'trick' it into thinking there's more print coming?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Be careful because maintenance cycles are also introduced if the printer encounters cycles where one channel/color is not being used and it must rewet these nozzles.
If the printer works and fans these nozzles as the printhead is going back and forth and no ink is being ejected, guess what happens next?

If we wish/desire to save ink, then truly the most economical way to do so is to use a fountain pen and return to writing in style. Get a calligraphy pen and it looks nice and it really becomes personal. Revive fountain pen useage!