Canon pixma ip4300 chipless ink cartridges

conan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Recently purchased new ink cartridges for a Canon pixma ip4300 which were cheaper than new ones because they have no chip.

After following the instructions how to transfer the chip, the printer now works. However, it appears that the ink monitoring facility does not work anymore (LED does not burn and status indicates that ink is still low despite a full cartridge).

Now what I am wondering is if there is a way to reset the chip so that it will indicate the level of the new cartridge ?

Or does replacing the cartridges from the manufactorer mean that the chip does not work anymore once transferred perhaps ? Would be a pain if that is the case as then the only way to continue to monitor ink levels of all the cartridges would to take them out occasionally.

Anyone on here got any experience with this ?

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You have surmised accurately!

You do need the chip on the cart or the printer will refuse to print.

The chip records the cartridge use by counting the ink firings by the print head, and so will eventually say that the cartridge is empty.

The printer will instruct you on what to do if you wish to continue printing when it thinks the cartridge is empty.

The printer will also announce that the warrantee is no longer any good since you have chosen to use other cartridges or refill the cartridge.

The ink monitor will no longer work once you have said you will continue to print. This disabling of the moniter is cart by cart as they are declared empty and you say you wish to continue printing.

You will have to lift cartridges out periodically to make sure that you are not running out of ink. There is risk of damage to your print head if you run dry.

Some have made resetters, but so far they are priced for the professional refill companies, not for individuals. Prices go from over $600 to over $1600.

You can buy refilled cartridges with reset chips from Atlantic Inkjet for a bit over half the OEM pricing. These should work just like OEM and keep your ink monitor working. Be aware that some recently manufactured iP4300s may be a problem with resetting, so check with Atlantic about that before buying reset cartridges from anyone.

Many have chosen to refill the OEM carts and abandon the warrantee because the OEM carts work best, it is very economical, and checking the ink level yourself is not all that bad. If you decide to refill, do yourself a big favor and avoid the cheap unknown inks. The respected brands are not really expensive and they are consistent.

Search this forum for more information including information on refilling. There is a very large amount of information for you to look through.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I have lurked this forum for this kind of subjects for a long while. I finally jumped into refilling for my i9900 and my not too old ip4300 by following the recommendations from this forum. I ventured into using a Chinese made CISS and ended up in a total waste of money. Poor quality product and poor ink. I then stick to refill OEM cartridges only and enjoyed a total success. Canonfolder is right that OEM cartridge works best, extremely economical and I will add extremely reliable. I ran into out of ink many times which were discovered only when printing showed sign of missing some things. But it hasn't caused any damages or anything. Just refill and go everything goes back to normal. I can confirm that even you miss checking of the ink level you may only lost a sheet or two of prints. Just refill and back to usual business. Thanks and good luck.