Canon Pixma iP4300: black cartridges 5 & 8

Manola

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi!

The Canon Pixma iP4300 has 2 black cartridges: a big one is PGBK and has the number 5 on it. The skinny one is BK and has the number 8.

My cartridge #5 came empty, but the #8 is about 75% full. Is there a way to tell the system to look for the ink in #8 when printing in black and white?

Thank you!

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The CLI-8BK cartridge is dye black. If you select duplex printing (print on both side), it will use the CLI-8BK because the dye black dries faster. But you should replace the 5BK cartridge ASAP to avoid print head damage.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Manola,

The PGI stands for "Pigment Ink" and is mostly for text printing on plain paper non-duplex.

I infer you mostly do text printing, or otherwise more of the dye CLI-8-BK would have been used up compared to the pigment.

If text quality is a "who cares", then my impression is that you can do some "fibbing" to the printer to have it use dye ink rather than pigment ink. I haven't done or advocate this, but I think you can specify Matte paper and then send a text page to the printer.

Some implications:
* dye ink more likely to fade, which might be a factor if text longevity is required

* this just delays getting more black ink, so you aren't really saving any money ... if anything, I believe pigment ink tanks are less per milliliter of ink than dye

* I do very little text printing, but my understanding is that pigment text tends to be higher quality than using dye ink for text.

* pigment ink tends to resist smearling better ... also better if paper gets damp, and probably better with high-lighters

* Also, "help us help you" by updating your profile with location and refill related info, especially printer. You did mention you had an iP4300 but if this thread gets longer, it helps to have that info in your signature for easy reference.

* Welcome to the Nifty world of refilling!