Canon Pixma IP4200 problem

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi there, finally bought a printer, pixma ip4200 and there are some problems that I'm not sure if this is canon's flaw or my printer unit has problem.

This is my first print sample on my notes. If you notice the horizontal lines, they are obviously not printed straight. The mode I used was standard printing. When I used high quality printing, this problem stops. Is this normal?
Please refer to the link below.
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/1858/ip420013wd.jpg

Then, I tried doing nozzle check, and I got the results as below. It does not seem normal from the supposed to be results. What say you guys?
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9809/ip420026zr.jpg

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
the head allignment stuff is fine, printed twice and it seems to be the correct pattern canon wants it to be.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Maybe you better draw circle around the spot(s) you think are wrong. Both of your pictures look fine to me, so I'm like JTL.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Chickens,

I would not normally complain of the apparent line mislocations that you are seeing, but I thought I would look closely.

You do not have enough resolution in the image to see those lines as clean lines. For a line to look really neat you would need to have 5 pixels or more in the line width. The image which you linked for us to see has less than 2 pixels in that line width. I have blown up a section of what you circled. I did not change any information, just blew it way up.

ip4200_lines_bad3.jpg

I suggest that nothing is wrong with your printer and it is doing all it can with the image. You might see the same as I do if you blow a section of the photo way up until pixels show clearly.

I have to presume that you could be showing us a scan of the printer's output page. If that is a scan, at what resolution did you scan? Perhaps the image which we are looking at is even more confused by a pixel limitation in the scan.

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
it is the scan copy, and used 200 as the resolution scanning settings. That document, I printed using Ms Word, and the line is straight, but whenever it is printed, it looks rather weird.... if u print boxes you can notice the uneven lining problem canon have. This is not an image, it is a document from word. Even with pdf, the same problem occurs. This problem occurs if u print from standard quality onwards to lowest. If high, the problem wouldnt exist but speed would be slow tremendously. Compared to my old hp845c, the line is straight nomatter it is horizontal or vertical on standard quality and it could do a little faster than this canon :(

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Chickens,
I guess you would have to scan your print at a much higher resolution before we could see just what you see.

To get enough, you would have to scan at 1000 pixels per inch. This might seem slow, but you don't have to scan the whole document. Just scan the area where you see the line as bad. Only bother with this if you wish to go further.

You mention that your Canon does better on the higher quality setting. It will be slower, but you will be getting into the resolution that is meant for photos, and we pay in speed for doing fine photos on such a low cost printer as the iP4200. If you need resolution and speed, you have to pay more and go way up the line of printers.

You also said that you sent the printer to Canon for service. Perhaps they can really find something to fix. I hope so. There's enough to be unhappy about with Canon without some misprinting problem.