Canon Pixma IP3000 troubleshooting - 12 alternating green/orange flash

inca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon Pixma IP3000 troubleshooting - I get 12 alternating green/orange lights flashing which is this error according to the service manual:

12 times

ERROR
AP position error [6A00] -

SOLUTION
Sheet feed unit (QM2-1220)
- Logic board ass'y (QM2-1520)*1

The first problem I had was that the machine never would turn on.
At one point I was able to get the machine to turn on and stay on, but it didn't last. I dont know what I did to make it work or stop working again.

However, when the print head is installed, the machine wont turn on at all, other than occasionally flashes green for 1 second. If I cant get a solution soon, I will be selling this as inoperable on Ebay so someone can use for parts. It was about $100 new, but because its so well designed, the limited new ones remaining are selling for $300-400 on Ebay.

I refurbished the machine and even cleaned the 6 diaper waste pads. I have the service manual and found lots of useful disassembly instructions on the internet.

Maybe I have more than 1 problem?
I don't know what to do now. Im at the end and sad to see this one go after 5 years of loyal companionship.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Usually when a Canon printer will turn on with the print head removed and won't turn on with the print head installed, it means the print head is bad and sometimes a new print head will solve the problem. Trouble is, unless you can get it to turn on, you will have to take the printer apart to remove the print head. And even then, there is no guarantee that a new print head will work and worse, if the printer is really bad, it could burn out any other print heads you put it in.

Of course, your error flag indicates that the problem is something else entirely, so who knows?

If you really like the iP3000 or other similar Canons, I would look on craigslist for a working used one.

inca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, when the print head is inserted, it wont turn on. If removed, it will turn on.

I had been using it past when some of the tanks were showing as empty. Perhaps this burnt something out on the print head or clogged something on the print head. Visually, the print head looks fine. What can I do to attempt to fix/repair the print head? New ones on Ebay are $57 delivered. If they cost that much, I'd rather buy a totally new printer for $78 at WMT for the Canon Pixma MP560 or the Brother MFC295CN for $60-70 at Staples or OfficeMax.

When the print head is "bad" is it because the ink is dried or because something is short-circuited or broken in the electrical connections?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inca
You say youve got 5 years out of the printer. :)
So its most lightly that ghwellsjr is right in saying that the print head has died and a new one would probably fix the problem.
Its worth a try @ only $57; its not as if you dont like the ip3000.. :)

inca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Canon MP560s are on sale at $60 at Frys until 9-24-10 AND they have copy and scan. So for $3 more I get a totally new unit with more features. Or I might get the brother MFC495CW for $100 at ODP. For $40 less for a Canon, Im leaning towards the Canon.

Yes I like the IP3000, but $57 is too much for a single part. Besides, in the service manual, it says these are geared to only last 3 years or 6000 printed pages. Even if a new $57 worked, other parts are past their life cycle according to this guide.

2-2. Product Life
(1) Printer
Specified number of print volume or the years of use, whichever comes first.
- Print volume: 6,000 pages
- Black: 2,400 pages (A4, 1,500 character pattern)
- Color: 1,800 pages (A4, 7.5% duty per color pattern)
200 pages (A4, photo, borderless printing)
1,000 pages (4 x 6, photo, borderless printing)
600 pages (Postcard, photo, borderless printing)
- 3 years of use
(2) Print head
- Print volume: 6,000 pages
- Black: 2,400 pages (A4, 1,500 character pattern)
- Color: 1,800 pages (A4, 7.5% duty per color pattern)
200 pages (A4, photo, borderless printing)
1,000 pages (4 x 6, photo, borderless printing)
600 pages (Postcard, photo, borderless printing)
(3) Ink tank (target value)
BCI-3eBK: 740 pages (1,500 character pattern, plain paper / standard mode)
1,500 pages (ISO JIS-SCID No. 5 / plain paper / standard mode)
BCI-6C: 570 pages (ISO JIS-SCID No. 5 / plain paper / standard mode)
BCI-6M: 440 pages (ISO JIS-SCID No. 5 / plain paper / standard mode)
BCI-6Y: 380 pages (ISO JIS-SCID No. 5 / plain paper / standard mode)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Do you refill your cartridges? Do you buy third party? Things will be quite different with a new model than what you are used to with the iP3000.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
inca
I just paid $105 for a print head for my i865, yes is was too much in monetary terms but I happen to love this little printer with BCI-6 cartridges + no chip and over 14000 prints later.
It died just like your ip3000 but I took a chance that the new print head would work, Im glad I did and now look forward to another couple of thousand prints.. :)

inca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No I dont refill. I had been buying the replacement cartridges on Ebay for about $2 each.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Have you checked to see if you can get similar cartridges for your new printer?

inca

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
YES! They are all over ebay for $1-2 each. THe ink cartridge availability is not my problem. Getting the printer to work (stay on) is the problem.