Canon Pixma iP 5000 Heavy banding problem with Cian

newrotic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
My problem is my printer is printing 3mm wide horizontal bands or stripes.
This light and dark banding only occurs with the color cian.

Magenta, yellow and the blacks are perfect.

I have: Replaced the cian cartridge.
Run numerous nozzle cleaning and deep cleaning actions.
Aligned the printer head both automatically and manually.
Removed the printer head and cleaned all electrical contacts and nozzles.
Uninstalled then reinstalled the printer driver.
None of these actions have resolved the cian banding.
Please can anybody help me with this problem.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
newrotic

First of all dont be running any test prints while your cyan is not printing properly.
Can you print out a nozzle check and post it on here first, so we can see what is going on with your printer.
Then wed have a better understanding of your problem and hopefully be able to help you fix it..

newrotic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for responding.
I've since discovered if I select print quality to high there is no banding with Cian.
Obviously the print time is too long for printing normally.

How do I post a print onto the forum?

PS
What do you think of Canon's IP4700?.
If my printer has had it's day that's the one I'm thinking of getting.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
If, if your ip5000 has become irrepairably clogged or otherwise put out of commission, I believe you'll be very happy replacing it with an ip4700.
I had 2 ip5000's that became inoperable and replaced them with a MP640 which uses the same printhead as the 4700. You will be very happy with the
photo output and speed. It does, however, use expensive chipped cartriges that don't hold as much ink as the carts you now use. Purchasing a chip
resetter and refilling these OEM carts is a breeze using the "German Method" and costs pennies on the dollar compared to buying new OEM carts. If
you're looking for an AIO printer I reccommend the MP640. It will probably cost only a few dollars more than the ip4700 and may be easier to find as
I believe they (Canon) are replacing the 4700 with the 4820 with has new carts that are very difficult to refill and no chip resetter yet.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
newrotic
You would be very luck to pick up an ip4700 now as they are disappearing off the shelves very quickly, because the 4820 is not very user friendly at the moment.

How do I post a print onto the forum?
The first thing to do with your printout is to save it as a PNG.
Next open the nifty site on your thread twice, then click on the word upload on the top bar; you will then see a browse button, click on it.
Locate where you have your printout stored and click open, now your file is on the upload page tick the resize box and Submit. Watch the progress bar till complete and click my uploads located (bottom right).
Just copy and paste the line in Thumb or Image to your already opened thread and thats it. :)

newrotic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat
I hope I've uploaded these pics OK.

6693_img021.jpg

6693_img017.jpg

newrotic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Mowerman90
Thanks for your feedback.
I have in fact managed to reserve an iP4700 at Dixons, for pickup tomorrow,
in the event that the problem with my 5 year old iP5000 cannot be resolved.
It will be a shame to dump it due to the banding but its useless in normal print quality mode.
Incidently, is the printer head of the 4700 removeable in order to physically clean it like the 5000?
I discovered that compatible ink cartridges can be bought for 4700, but your chip
resetter and refilling the OEM by the "German Method" sounds interesting.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That cyan problem is an electrical problem not a clog. You can either get a new print head or a new printer. I don't suggest getting the ip4700, it's designed to waste ink if you decide to refill it without resetting the chip. I've abandoned Canon now because they're making it too difficult for refilling, either wasting all your ink or for the latest models, opaque ink tanks.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That sure looks like an electrical defect in the print head. You may want to buy a new print head as your ip5000 is a very good one. It is better than any new ones released by Canon in recent years.

newrotic

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How can I be sure it's the print head?
They're not cheap.