Canon PIXMA G series - Epson L equivalent!

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I just have mixed some CMY ink with a pipette, then put one drop of the mixture in a 30ml glass, to compare this dilution with one drop of dye photo black.
1part C + 1part M is bluish and while it's the darkest misture it is still much lighter than real K, 1p C + 2p M is more violet (like most of real K inks) and a bit lighter, with Y it becomes much too light.
So I think you can not substitute the missing K by such a mixture, simply because it's not dark or dense enough. The internal RIP of a canon with 4 dye colors probably expects and needs a real K, not grey.

So I think you will need a canon printer with CMY (and text black) to benefit from using the new canon bottled ink. Perhaps I will look for a cheap ip3000 with a working print head..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think that test is not really showing the actual black level on paper, a printer like the old IP3000, and lots of Brother models don't print with the pigment ink onto glossy paper but mix black from C and M, and maybe a small amount of yellow, they print with max density - to get black, that type of mix will not be used diluted at all, not for a gray color whatever. You rather should mix a small amount of C and M, and take a Q-Tip or else and smear it onto a sheet of glossy paper, and compare it to other black ink spots, it will be pretty black.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So I think you will need a canon printer with CMY (and text black) to benefit from using the new canon bottled ink. Perhaps I will look for a cheap ip3000 with a working print head..
Canon printers work very well just using 3 colours, here is an example of my iX4000 C, Y, M printer..
5128_colour_swatch.png

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I think that test is not really showing the actual black level on paper, a printer like the old IP3000, and lots of Brother models don't print with the pigment ink onto glossy paper but mix black from C and M, and maybe a small amount of yellow, they print with max density - to get black, that type of mix will not be used diluted at all, not for a gray color whatever. You rather should mix a small amount of C and M, and take a Q-Tip or else and smear it onto a sheet of glossy paper, and compare it to other black ink spots, it will be pretty black.
Yes, a CMY printer can PRINT black by mixing the three colors- And quite good. I agree with TheHat.. had a ip3000 once which was as good as a ip4000 regarding b&w.
But while printing the printer can fire as much droplets as needed to get the black. The "mix" is made of dots, different from how we are mixing our "DIY ink".. And if a CMYK printer is filled with gray instead of black - I suppose this don't work.
But in the other hand: "probieren geht über studieren" .. I will try it anyway when the ink is available.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
it's a compromise with the DIY black, a IP3000 etc can print 100% C and 100% M on top of it, but with such mix in the black channel you only can print 100%(C+M) together, you'll have to test what you get, but I think it would be better than nothing.