canon pixma 4000

jmac

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello ,
Im new to your forum .got wind of it through Neils pages . I was looking for a new printer and actually bought the Canon pixma 4000. This printer by far very far was the best output of all the printers shown to me at the store. The picture they printed was amazing couldnt tell if it was from lab or not.Any way it was between this and the Epson r 300 . Having just had an Epson 820 that broke down ,and thought the pictures that printed were good. Before i even tried printing one picture Iwas reading the manualand checked the troubleshooting area and came across a problem they mentioned about waste ink being full call for service . Well I did some looking on the net and found out that you can not fix this yourself , and need to send it out to be reset , so I thought .Needless to say I put it back in the car and was going to get the Epson because I dont want to send anything anywhere and pay to have it reset .But first I said let me look on the ne t and see how much of a problem this is, thats when I came across Neils pages I was sold on Canon and he adressed the waste ink thing as fixable by user down the road . So I set it up and printed Im no expert, just printing family pictures but wow Iwas amazed how easy this printed flawlessly . I didnt need to tweak settings like Epson just pick and print. I printed 2 8x11.5 pictures of my kids using a sony 5 mp camera and it was like they were alive in the picture. The guys at work didnt believe that i printed them.I checked out many printers at the store and the Canons were the BEST hands down. Thanks Neil for your informative pages and helping me make what I think is a great choice.Dont know how much I can contribute to forum, but I will look around and try . Jim

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Jim,

Thanks for the great post on the Pixma 4000.

I've been looking into the "waste tank" issue as well and am curious how often this really comes up. For users like you and me that aren't printing tons of pictures / cd labels every day, my guess would be not too often.

I have wondered what I can do as preventative maintenance to keep from getting the dreaded "waste tank full" error message... especially since I don't want to have to take my printer apart. Every once in a while I blot the pads where the cartridges sit with a paper towel, Q-tip, whatever to pull up as much ink as I can. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad idea, but it seems to pull up a bunch of ink onto my paper towel which I figure is less ink to worry about in the "waste tank".

Anyway, keep us posted on your experiences with this great printer! By the time my i860 is ready to be retired I'm hoping that the ip4000 will be ready for a nice price reduction.

Footnote: From what I can tell Neil's great inkjet page talks about the wast tank issue related to the "older" Canon printers, but since the ip4000 is a "repackaged" i860 (fantastic printer) then I suppose his fix would work the same.

deny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i have problem too with my Canon MPC 200 series

it display "waste ink tank is full"
i found resource couple a days but i've lost it somewhere (i forget the forum address )
all canon product (especially "i series ) have common problem
after 3-6 months used ... the printer display the "sacral message"

i read that maybe this is usefull :

1. hold the power button
2. unplug the power cabel ( while holding power button )
3. plug the power again ( still holding power button )
... the orange led turn green.and press the resume and release (while holding pow.. button)
the led turn orange)
4. press resume and release ... the led turn green.
5. release both buttons.
6. and the printer will reset.

note : this work with my canon i320 series
but for my canon MPC 200 nothing happened

hford02

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I wear out at least 2 canons a year and just bought the ip4000 as well. I like this printer a lot because the power button is on the corner so the cat won't turn it off when he jumps on it. We print 1200-1500 pages of color every week and after trying every kind of inkjet, dye-sub and laser we could afford the canon's have been the cheapest solution. I'm not into pantone color graphics so with the cheapest www.private.abacus24-7.com inks we get adequate results for the lowest prices I've found. I will say that my epson 3000 may have been cheaper but was entirely too slow for the work I do. If speed is not an issue that is a great printer for the cost conscious (ea cart holds about 4oz). We never had luck with refilling carts so we've stayed with the generics for the last year or so.
Anyway the canon ip4000 is a fast, cheap to operate and versatile printer, I'm going to back it up with an ip3000 to make sure I don't have to change generic cartridges for a while. My ink expense has gone from $100+/wk down to about $25 ... and I have gone from 300dpi to 600dpi as well.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
hford02, when you say you "wear out" the printers, what are the parts that wear out? Is it usually the print head or other parts?

Also, I'm dying to know what you are printing so much of?

hford02

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I kill these printers by printing 1500 pages of high color labels on 110lb cardstock every week. We've been doing this for almost nine years (www.bestdips.com) . Generally the printheads go but sometimes the paper rollers or parer sensors. I have four printers in the shed right now an i560, i950, epson 3000 and a Minolta Desk Laser.
The Minolta laser was the biggest mistake. Do not believe half of what they say about economy of operation. These printers are budget busters , noisy and not very fast either (although the output is beautiful). Lasers are tempermental and have a bunch of expendable parts that can kill you faster than a "toner out" light.