Canon pixma 100-pro will not come back to life this time.

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
"they will block service mode in your Pro-100." When you say they, do you mean Canon or the fake apps?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
"They" mean older software tool versions, fake or genuine. The printer will refuse to enter service mode after you try to use the wrong version. I don't know if the issue happens always in all the Canon models or only in some of them. It happened to me and it's been repported by many users.
Likewise, I'm not sure why and how the printer prevents access to service mode. Maybe an outdated software tool messes the firmware when trying to detect unsuccesfully that particular model of printer ?.

Last edited:

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
"They" mean older software tool versions. The printer will refuse to enter service mode after you try to use the wrong version. I don't know if the issue happens always in all the Canon models or only in some of them. It happened to me and it's been repported by many users.
Likewise, I'm not sure why and how the printer prevents access to service mode. Maybe an outdated software tool messes the firmware when trying to detect unsuccesfully that particular model of printer ?.
Very interesting. I would only imagine its logged in the eeprom or like chip on the main board. I do have a new one coming so I can test this theory. I'm still confused on how this battery thing works. EEPROM should be preserved but I read there is information kept via a battery on the power board such as the date. And if a battery + power is not present it's gone for good. I think, and only a guess, this service tool puts it back on. So the concept of swaping out the main board must not be possible without this tool?

Last edited:

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
I did get the tool, it does lock to a PC machine ID and it only partially works. Many of the unuseful commands work but the ones I think I need give error 002. Like set time. I'm not really sure what I should be doing here but there is some hope.

the eeprom shows 9 errors from this donor board ( new one on the way)

ER(ER0=6910 ER1=B200 ER2=6910 ER3=B200 ER4=6910 ER5=B200 ER6=6910 ER7=6901 ER8=B200 ER9=5400)

all of the errors say to:
Turn off the printer, and unplug the power cord of the printer from the power supply.
Plug the printer back in and turn the printer back on.
If the problem is not resolved, contact the service center.

I got some info on there errors though.

ERROR 6910- 6901:​

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...71&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=false

>> I do not even use the network and it talks about a setup button.​

ERROR B200:​

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1035022/~/error-code:-b200-/-b201-/-b202-/-b203-/-b204-/-b205-/-b206-/-b207

>>I put new ink in the printer and it prints fine, so I guess it's something else. maybe a head issue. Very possible that got hit also.

ERROR 5400:​

>>this maybe because the lid is off, not sure. Anyone know where the hidden sensors are?​

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
If you got error B200 and/or 5400 when operating the Pro-100 in normal mode, the software tool won't work properly, even if it's a genuine version. You must clear the errors first.
Error 5400 is related to temperature problems, maybe the printhead, maybe the logic board. B200 means, in the vast majority of cases, an ailing printhead. Sooner or later it will lock the printer unless you replace the printhead.
I hope you get this Pro-100 sorted at last, but in this case there's no guarantee that replacing the logic board or the printhead will work. As PeterBJ said, a new logic board can be damaged by a faulty printhead or vice-versa and you don't know beforehand which one might be faulty. It's a risky business, so to speak. Best of luck anyway.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In many Canon service manuals it is recommended that the print head and the logic board are replaced at the same time.

Last edited:

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Ok good to know, I do have one question though, how can the print head be bad if it printer perfect;y on the test patterns?

for one my original printer is QM7-4275 and QM7-4247
but the donor is QM7-1434 and QM4-1938

so no wonder I get errors.

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
My wild guess is that the printer detects abnormal temperatures in the printhead and triggers a B200 error as a warning. Even if it prints perfectly for the time being, the raising temperature may be a sign that the printhead is reaching the end of the lifespan.
In most cases, when B200 appears for the first time it clears by itself for a while but sure it will reappear later more and more often until, at some point, the printer remains blocked and you don’t have access to the printhead for removing it and replace it. Then you’ll have a hard time removing the cover in order to unlock the printhead.

Only Canon knows exactly the conditions triggering this error, but of course they won’t tell us...

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Ok, thx for that.

Also wondering if anyone knows how the errors are cleared? The donor printer had a bad head, this was known, so I get what the b200 but does it clear the error on reset? If not, is there some trick to clearing it. Maybe it is just the error logged from the donor printer, or yes as mentioned maybe the donor board killed the head.

ulao

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
hmm, seller for the board tells me there were two revisions, I wonder if maybe that was part of the problem. If I figure out how to ID them I will note that in here.

Latest posts