Canon PGI-245 with Epson 664 BK ink

soysauce

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP&WF, HP DJ, Canon MG
I wanted to see what would happen if I refilled a Canon PGI-245 black ink cartridge with Epson 664 black ink (Ecotank ink). First I did a pre-test to look for obvious chemical incompatibilities between the Canon and Epson inks. I withdrew ink from a Canon cartridge and an Epson bottle and placed drops both individually and mixed on a piece of tile. I did not see any precipitation or other signs of incompatibility.
IMG_20200422_133743.jpg

I found an old, used Canon PG-245 that had run out of ink. There is also a higher capacity version of this cartridge called the PG-245 XL, and a small starter version called PG-243. My used PG-245 cartridge had a mass of 30.3 grams before refilling:
IMG_20200422_133240.jpg

I used a utility knife to pop the lid off the cartridge so I could see the sponge and fill it more easily. The lids are very easy to remove on these cartridges:
IMG_20200422_133905.jpg

I used a disposable pipette to add Epson 664 ink to the top of the sponge until it appeared to be getting close to saturated. Then I primed the cartridge by pulling a vacuum on the nozzles:
IMG_20200422_134808.jpg

The mass of the refilled cartridge was 39.4 g:
IMG_20200422_134908.jpg

I then put the lid back on and loaded the cartridge into a Canon MG2525 printer and set the printer to print with the black cartridge only. A nozzle check and test pages were poor and not improved by regular and deep cleaning cycles, so I placed the cartridge with the nozzles facing down in a plastic cup, added water to the cup to cover the nozzles, and placed the cup in the water bath of a 35W 40kHZ ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes. My theory was that the cartridge had clogged nozzles from sitting uncapped and unused for an unknown amount of time. At the end of 5 minutes the water in the cup was black. I removed the cartridge and wiped off the print head and inserted it back in the printer. The nozzle check looked flawless and I began printing sets of ISO/IEC 24712 test pages. Per ISO, "The test page suite includes four "customer" type documents and one "diagnostic" page that is used to determine end of ink or toner consumable life." I printed 20 sets using black ink only, and there was not drop-off in quality that I noticed. Here is page 1 coming out of the printer:
IMG_20200422_141535.jpg

After the 100 ISO test pages I printed 150 pages of plain text. Near the end of the text pages the ink seemed to be running low and some of the lines of text were not sharp. I removed the cartridge and its mass had dropped from 39.4 to 31.4 g:
IMG_20200422_152744.jpg

I refilled the cartridge with more Epson 664 ink to 40.8 grams and printed a nozzle check. One segment was missing so I ran a head clean cycle and then the nozzle check and test prints were fine:
IMG_20200422_165142.jpg

I found these results somewhat surprising. These Canon and Epson inks have a similar surface tension of about 29 dynes/cm which is good, but the Canon ink is less viscous with a viscosity of about 1.5 cp compared to the Epson 664 viscosity of about 2.5 cp. I would have expected that putting the more viscous ink into the Canon cartridge could have lead to ink starvation, but in this test it did not.

Of course these are only day 1 results and there could be issues with Epson 664 ink in Canon PG-245 cartridges that will arise over time. If anyone is interested in whether the cartridge will print after more time has elapsed, please post something in a week or so to remind me to test it again. I would also be great if someone else tried the same thing. It's not science if the results can't be replicated.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good images! :thumbsup

soysauce

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Here's an update. The Canon MG2525 Printer with Epson 664 BK ink in a Canon PG-245 cartridge had sat unused with the power off since April 22 (12 days). I powered it up and printed one text page and one photograph in black only. The text looked fine but the photograph had some thin white streaks. I printed a Nozzle Check which showed several missing segments. I ran a head clean cycle for black only and all the segments were present but some were not straight. I ran a second black only head clean cycle and after that the nozzle check was better but some lines were still not straight. I printed the photograph again and it still had the thin white streaks.

From the very limited data from this one test of one cartridge, it seems (so far) that Epson 664 BK ink can be used in Canon PGI-245 cartridges without completely destroying the cartridge, but print quality will be compromised.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
hat Epson 664 BK ink can be used in Canon PGI-245 cartridges without completely destroying the cartridge, but print quality will be compromised.
That maybe so, but as was said many times before, Don’t use the Epson ink in a multi cartridge Canon printer, it will destroy the print head..

soysauce

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I suppose the forum could be called "Printer Dogma"?

taiyo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP287
What an absolute madlad.
I registered just to post that.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Taiyo Yuden - my favorite printable disks. Good times.