Canon or Epson or Canon or Epson

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
...but I've read that Canon now has pigment-based photo printers as well.
Yes, there is one. So far there seems to have no discussions about it on this forum yet. I think the model name is Pro9500, correct me if I am wrong.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Also please check what I have stated in other posts carefully. Sometimes the reader wants to read what they think. That can be dangerous.

I'm ending here. The original thread asked for an opinion between the two printers. I gave that as I owned an RX580 and compared it to the Canon MP970. and indicated that for the 970 was most likely superior since the lower specced MP500 was for most users possibly superior to the RX580. So by extrapolation.....

When someone indicates that Canon 4 color dye printing on a iP4300 etc. has better results than an Epson R1800. I'll just have to fade away. Literally. :lol:

BTW the Pro 9500 does NOT have transparent tanks. Does this have any implications for refilling? Add to that pigment ink and its effects on overheating?

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Frankly even being a saint Alexander Pope could not have any idea whatsoever about 21th century's inkjet technology in the 16th century. But I am not going to debate over his words. It's up to you to read between the words.

mikling said:
So where does that leave the Epson?...interesting question. Well it sports CLARIA ink which is a TRUE breakthrough in that it is a synthetic dye ink with a serious patent on it ( it is expensive to make this dye ink) . Kudos to Epson on this.
Regarding synthetic dyes, it was first produced by an English chemist in 1856. As of today the dye industry has produced more than 7,000 different colorants. The vast majority of these are synthesized. If you want to believe that Calria ink is a breakthrough in synthetic dye technology that's you. In my opinion it is just another marketing hype. Oh yes, patents. You can not make up a hype without a patent. Keep in mind Canon Chromalife100 ink also has a number of patents associated with it. I am not saying Claria ink is not good. I merely pointed out that it may very well be just a dye based ink, good dye based ink, but not a significant breakthrough technology in any way. If you follow HP you should know HP has hundreds of patents secured for HP inks. So why Claria ink is such a big deal but not Canon nor HP inks? Maybe I should read Epson patent documents to learn more about the Claria ink. I can agree with that. Maybe you should read Canon's and HP's patent documents too.

Why don't we compare Claria ink or other Epson OEM ink with after market Epson compatible ink? I think if we go that direction we will end up making all 3rd party compatible ink very bad. That's not true I am afraid.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Tin Ho said:
Frankly even being a saint Alexander Pope could not have any idea whatsoever about 21th century's inkjet technology in the 16th century. But I am not going to debate over his words. It's up to you to read between the words.
I don't think Alexander Pope was ever thinking about inkjet technology.;)

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey for the mail in rebate, it asks for the UPC barcodes, did you cut out all three barcodes, or just one of them? When I open the box, it shows two UPC barcodes in addition to the one on the outside. The two UPC barcodes on the flap each say something to the effect of secondary proof of purchase and third proof of purchase. Should I just cut out one of them and mail it in, or do I need to cut all three? Thanks.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Read your rebate form more carefully. It should tell you which one to cut out. I have been through a couple of Canon Rebates. Each one the rebate form gave specific instruction which one to cut out.

eixty

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
All it said was "The Original UPC barcodes from the product packaging". Does that mean all three of them?