Canon MX870 - how to access service mode

lilianeloirinha

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
A guy emailed me these instructions after watching a video on YouTube about the MX870 troubleshooting. I figured that someone might want to know this information so here it is. Please bear in mind that I can't reply back with help, I'm simply pasting here what this guy sent me about accessing the service mode on the MX870. You will need to connect it to a computer using a USB cable, and you'll also need to download a software that you can find using Google (the file is called ServiceTool_V2000.exe).

4-2. Service Mode (1) Service mode operation procedures
Use the Service Tool on the connected computer.

1) Start the machine in the service mode.
i. With the machine power turned off, while pressing the Stop button, press and hold the ON button. (DO NOT release the buttons.)
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the ON button, release the Stop button. (DO NOT release the ON button.)
iii. While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 5 times, and then release both the ON and Stop buttons. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)
- Without the scanner (connect the operation panel unit);
While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 6 times, and then release both the ON and Stop buttons. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the machine is ready for the service mode operation. (Nothing is displayed on the LCD.)

2) Start the Service Tool on the connected computer.
i. When a button is clicked in the Service Tool dialog box, that function is performed. During operation of the selected function, all the Service Tool buttons are dimmed and inactive.
ii. When the operation is completed, "A function was finished." is displayed, and another function can be selected.
iii. If a non-supported function is selected, "Error!" is displayed. Click OK in the error message dialog box to exit the error.